goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6045 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 33 of 34
12 July 2009 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Hi Professor Arguelles,

I must second Kugel's suggestion. Although I understand your ultimate desire is to create a polyglot academy where full-time students focus explicitly on languages, many of us are sincere in their studies although they currently have full-time jobs. Although I am a design engineer by day, I spend on average 4 hours per day on language study. A sincere online system as Kugel suggests would be more than worth cost if it added to my learning efficiency.

Just my two yen.

Thanks,

Jon
1 person has voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6319 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 34 of 34
14 July 2009 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Dr. Arguelles,

I would also like to add that many universities have comprehensive language departments that offer many choices in language study. Even though this is not exactly polyglottery, an offshoot of comparative philology, I think one can still utilize the language departments with the same academic rigor and dedication that you are espoused to. And if I read the info on your website correctly, the Great Books study is an ends, although not entirely, to the massive study of the world's languages. I'm not sure what this entails. Do the ideas of the Great Books have precedence over theories of fast and effective language acquisition? Could learning languages be ends in themselves? What exactly is acquired after reading The Stranger in French if one has already taken a course in Existential Writers in the 20th Century? I'm not suggesting reading Camus in the original is pointless, but what I'm suggesting is that a person living in 2009 has so much catching up to do because of the vast amounts of information and schools of thought one has to know in order to be culturally and scientifically literate.    

For instance, shouldn't one already have the cultural literacy that Ivan in The Brothers Karamazov was losing it towards the end due to philosophical problems, essentially going emo on the reader, before one embarks on a years long study of Russian? I think that it would be very difficult to acquire all this cultural literacy, and let's not forget scientific literacy, by not enrolling in a university that didn't have breadth requirements. This leaves me and other language hobbyists in a pickle. We still want to get valuable insight in language learning, and at the same time not miss out on what our current universities and jobs have to offer.

Barts    

Edited by Kugel on 15 July 2009 at 8:14am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version