orion
United States
Joined 6808 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 9 of 15
09 November 2005 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Oh OK, my mistake, sorry. I guess I need another cup of coffee to clear away the brain fog!

Edited by orion on 09 November 2005 at 5:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

winters
Trilingual Heptaglot
Italy
Joined 6831 days ago

199 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, Serbian*, Russian*, English, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Greek, French, Hungarian

Message 10 of 15
12 November 2005 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Zdravo/Privet.

I am Russian/Croatian, but I lived solely in Croatia.
From my experience, it should not be hard for you at all to learn Russian.
To me, Russian is a mix of "foreign" and "mother" tongue.
Croatian was to me always "primary" mother tongue, always kept a dominance over Russian. I was exposed to Russian, but to much lesser degree than to Croatian. The result of that was some competence in language, but of a kind that can more be charactarised as understanding (reading, hearing, basic communication etc) than as knowing the language. The difference between my competence in Russian and Croatian was always a great one. When joining this forum, I was unsure whether I should speak of Russian as of my "mother" tongue, even secondary, for that would imply fluency, which I do not have. The most suitable proof for that is the fact that I study the tongue that is supposed to be my mother one as well, in order not only to diminish that difference, if possible, but to simply get more in touch with Russian.
What I experienced when having encountered with Russian as with "foreign" language was that it is easy to learn for a slavic speaker - nobody in our class had greater problems, perhaps they may mix endings for cases or such, but basically you understand and it comes a great deal "instinctively" to you what it should sound like, because of some similar patterns.
I do not think that will interfere with your English at all, because they are very different languages, though they do share some vocabulary of mostly loan English words in Russian (such as office, etc). But they won't mix for sure, so I encourage you to study Russian if you are interested in it.

Sretno. Nadam se da će ti se svidjeti ruski.

ace-ventura
United States
Joined 6743 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes

Message 11 of 15
20 November 2005 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
thanks guys for support :-)

I'm still progressing slowly, using pimsleur's method. I found this method as very easy to learn, though it's focuset only in listening/speaking skills, but I shouldn't have problems learning how to read/write after mastering basic skills becouse I already know cyrilic letters. although, I found that writing russian is not as simple as serbo-croatian, but my girlfriend told me that even native russians sometimes have problems to write. actually, for me the most important thing is to learn how to speak and read, so I can read russian texts and improve my understanding.
also, I found understanding serbo-croatian is much harder for russians, than opposite, mostly becouse russians use some words used in archaic serbo-croatian, so I know them, but barely use them in my mother tongue.
the biggest problem so far for me is pronounciation! russian pronounciation is very soft, and that makes me a lot of trouble. I hope I'll improve that with time.

so far, I like russian a lot, hvala :-)

Luis
Octoglot
Spain
Joined 6852 days ago

35 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, Catalan, Latin, FrenchB2, English, Italian, Ancient Greek

Message 12 of 15
21 November 2005 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
Slavic languages are very similar among them. In fact the Comun Slavic was in X century, so it is posible the comunication learning a few different words. I was surprised ( I am Spanish) when after learning Russian I understood a recording inSerbocroatian.

ace-ventura
United States
Joined 6743 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes

Message 13 of 15
22 December 2005 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I agree that slavic languages are pretty similar, but I was wery suprised that noone of my russian friends could understand me! they can recognize a couple of words, but that's it.
in the other hand, I could understand them very well in some simple conversations. now, after only 12 pimsleur lessons, I can understand them much better. sometimes, while they are speaking in russian among themselves, I can just jump in and start discussing about the subject, in english of course :-) I'm still not ready to start talking in russian, exept some basic expressions (like word bljad, which I'm using almost like my native word in everyday conversation, but of course, not in it's original meaning), but mu comprehension is much better now.
yesterday I tried to watch some russian movie, with english subtitles, but that was pretty disaponting experience. as I already said, english is not my native language, so I've found very hard to watch movie in target language, while reading translation in second language. however, sometimes I could understand some jokes in a movie (yes, that was a comedy) much better in russian than in english translation.

main problem for me is lack of time for learning. sometimes it's simply hard to find at least half an hour of peace to relax and completely concetrate to learning.

but I'm still not giving up, and this web site is excelent place for boosting my will and self confidence.

thanks guys :-)

spasibo

winters
Trilingual Heptaglot
Italy
Joined 6831 days ago

199 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, Serbian*, Russian*, English, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Greek, French, Hungarian

Message 14 of 15
25 December 2005 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
ace-ventura wrote:

also, I found understanding serbo-croatian is much harder for russians, than opposite, mostly becouse russians use some words used in archaic serbo-croatian, so I know them, but barely use them in my mother tongue.

I had an opportunity to notice this myself, when reading authors such as Držić (or others from somewhere around this epoch). After studying Russian a while, try reading it, and you'll realise how do you understand much better than at high school ;)
For example, "ja vas molju", instead of "molim vas", "molju" being indicative of the active present for 1st person singular, made in "-u" ending form characteristic for Russian ;) And numerous others; try it once, it's fun.

ace-ventura
United States
Joined 6743 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes

Message 15 of 15
25 December 2005 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
you're right, but that is still an example that you can figure out by yourself.
but, for example, in serbo-croatian, for verb "to talk", we usualy in everyday speech use "pricati" while "govoriti" which is pretty similar in russian is barely in use. or if you want to say "it's 3 o clock" we usualy say "sada je tri sata" while in russian is used something like "sicyas 3 chasa" where "chas" is barely in use in serbo-croatian but everyne will understand if you use that word. however, russians won't understand if I say "3 sata" instead of optional "3 chasa" or "ja pricam" instead of "ja govorim" which they will probably understand even though the ending is not quite similar.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version