laoshu505000
United States
Joined 5575 days ago

121 posts - 232 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 4
09 May 2009 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,

I know I've talked about chat rooms before, but I made this video to just give you a quick demonstration on how I go about utilizing them in order to get the practice. I hope you'll like it and will benefit from using this method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NowdILwCt3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aRnn9U1B4w

1 person has voted this message useful

-Kupo-
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5826 days ago

84 posts - 84 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Russian

Message 2 of 4
11 May 2009 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
I am finding all these videos you do very inspiring and informative. This one in particular interests me as I have always wondered what chatrooms you can use to practice written skills. Thank you for your very hard work!

snovymgodom
Diglot
United States
Joined 5484 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian

Message 3 of 4
11 May 2009 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
-Kupo- wrote:
I am finding all these videos you do very inspiring and informative. This one in particular interests me as I have always wondered what chatrooms you can use to practice written skills. Thank you for your very hard work!

I agree. I also think it's a good idea to use AIM or other instant messaging clients and start talking to people you know in the target language. You'll be able to develop deeper relationships and it will allow for more involved conversations than the "Hi, where are you from? ... It's great that you are learning language X..." type of conversation. I had a great time talking to a Russian girl for some time every night on ICQ, unfortunately I could not continue because I encountered other obligations.

By the way, I may be completely jumping the gun here, but I would support the creation of a new subforum dedicated to Mr.McCormick's video posts. I suggest this for a number of reasons:

It seemed that this particular subforum was originally created for facilitation of communication with Professor Arguelles, since a lot of people here are writing specifically to him with questions, and Professor Arguelles himself regularly posts here with updates of his own. I think that more attention could be given to Mr.McCormick's posts if they are concentrated in a subforum of his own, rather than him having to share the space with Professor Arguelles.

Again, I may be jumping the gun on this as Mr.McCormick doesn't have as many posts here as Professor Arguelles and hasn't posted as extensively in the other subforums, but I don't see him stopping anytime soon. It's just something to keep in mind.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6075 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 4 of 4
11 May 2009 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Moses,

Thanks a lot for mentioning Sharedtalk in your video on chatrooms. I have found it to be very benefical. I am not entirely sure why I stopped using chatrooms (I used them quite a bit during my German studies), but in any case, it has been a great help for my French and will surely continue to be for future languages. Thanks!

snovymgodom wrote:
By the way, I may be completely jumping the gun here, but I would support the creation of a new subforum dedicated to Mr.McCormick's video posts. I suggest this for a number of reasons:

It seemed that this particular subforum was originally created for facilitation of communication with Professor Arguelles, since a lot of people here are writing specifically to him with questions, and Professor Arguelles himself regularly posts here with updates of his own. I think that more attention could be given to Mr.McCormick's posts if they are concentrated in a subforum of his own, rather than him having to share the space with Professor Arguelles.

Again, I may be jumping the gun on this as Mr.McCormick doesn't have as many posts here as Professor Arguelles and hasn't posted as extensively in the other subforums, but I don't see him stopping anytime soon. It's just something to keep in mind.

I agree with this. I had mentioned something similar in the past, since I had thought more people would be likely to view and respond to his contributions if they were posted in, say, the general forum. Since less people tend to view this forum than the general forum, I thought he would be able to reach a wider audience that way. Either way, he has rightfully earned quite a following by posting here, so it seems fine either way.

Edited by ChristopherB on 11 May 2009 at 4:26pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version