Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6914 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 9 of 12
08 December 2005 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
jtmc18 wrote:
I'm going to have to find some other method of learning Italian, because I do not think that FSI will be of any use. What other programs are people using for this?

That's a very good question, I've wondered what else is out there. However if you know Spanish and even some French it's a lot easier to learn Italian.

As far as the other FSI courses, I've looked at the first level of Barron's Portuguese. It was a little like the Italian in that if covered a lot of intonation patterns (I guess this is what the "programmatic" courses are like) but you were still learning real sentiences along the way. The German course is very good though, not exactly like the Spanish format, but nothing like the strange one on the Italian course.

Edited by Sir Nigel on 08 December 2005 at 1:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6782 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 10 of 12
08 December 2005 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Sir Nigel wrote:
As far as the other FSI courses, I've looked at the first level of Barron's Portuguese. It was a little like the Italian in that if covered a lot of intonation patterns (I guess this is what the "programmatic" courses are like) but you were still learning real sentiences along the way. The German course is very good though, not exactly like the Spanish format, but nothing like the strange one on the Italian course.

If you are looking for a drill-heavy Portuguese method, I'd suggest the Portugues Contemporaneo series (2 books and 21 tapes, approximately $250 total) published through Georgetown University Press and available here. This set is very much like FSI German (I don't know what FSI Spanish looks like), and much more drill-intensive than the FSI Programmatic Portuguese set. I've used it for class as a supplement and it's great.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6825 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 12
08 December 2005 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Sir Nigel wrote:
That's a very good question, I've wondered what else is out there. However if you know Spanish and even some French it's a lot easier to learn Italian.

The full Linguaphone course is good. It includes nine CDs, two videos and four books. It's expensive but there are always good second hand versions on eBay.

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6228 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 12 of 12
22 August 2008 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Is there an FSI Italian 'basic' course? Similar to that of the FSI French and Spanish?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version