Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
121 messages over 16 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 15 16 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6488 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 121
27 May 2010 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
I also liked it. It is in a format that ressembles a real discussion, which makes it more interesting, and it was a pleasure to hear both of you speak the languages in this clip so well.

There was a short passage about what to do if you can't find people speaking your target language (in this case Russians in Rome), and Luca essentially said: talk to yourself and think in the language. He didn't mention Skype, and that is somewhat puzzling - though I shouldn't complain as I'm running around talking to myself and thinking in most of my languages all the time, except when I'm on holiday - no Skype here.

I have overheard many discussions in Russian and other Slavic languages during my recent travels, so there must also be a lot of Russian tourists in Rome. But I guess you don't just walk up to people and interrupt their holiday activities...

Edited by Iversen on 27 May 2010 at 3:01pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5632 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 121
27 May 2010 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
I know about Luca that he's very active on Skype. Also Richard (Torbyrne) is.

For people who like telephoning Skype is a huge advantage!

It's a win-win situation because when two polyglots meet on the phone it's likely that their stronger and weaker languages are not the same.

To give an example:

My Skype partners can profit from my Dutch, my German and my Esperanto whereas I can profit from other polyglots speaking with me the Romance languages.

I know that the Skype-exchange between Luca and Richard works in the same way.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 27 May 2010 at 3:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ronp
Heptaglot
Australia
ronpeek.blogspo
Joined 5879 days ago

33 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, German, Flemish, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Norwegian, Mandarin, Esperanto, Finnish, Macedonian, Hindi, Greek, Indonesian, Lithuanian, Basque, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic (Written), Sign Language
Studies: Turkish, Swahili

Message 19 of 121
02 June 2010 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

Luca is a big fan of Skype. Here he explains his method in a clear way,
as also when and how the internet and Skype come into play.

http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/part-one-an-easy-way-to- learn-foreign-languages/

Kind regards,

Ron
5 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5632 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 121
02 June 2010 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
ronp wrote:
Hi,

Luca is a big fan of Skype. Here he explains his method in a clear way,
as also when and how the internet and Skype come into play.

http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/part-one-an-easy-way-to- learn-foreign-languages/

Kind regards,

Ron

NL: Ja, dat is een interessante link waarin Luca zijn talen studiemethodes uitlegt.
EN: Yes, this is an interesting link where Luca describes his language study methods.

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5341 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 21 of 121
05 June 2010 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for posting the link, Torbyrne. I was feeling a little low on motivation this morning, especially with all the usual bits and bobs that end up being left to the weekend, but this video came to my rescue and pepped me right up, and I'm now back on track studying Spanish this afternoon.

What's most amazing for me is that you're continually accumulating, maintaining and polishing up an immense wealth of wonderful languages, whilst working and a full-time dad too. Truly inspirational! How do you manage it? :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5632 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 121
17 June 2010 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
What he's saying is merely a rant with no particular message. Mostly he's talking about wanting to speak to blonde women, blah, blah. What a cliche! :-)

I assume that Luca has more intellectual level than this. At least Luca's You Tube channel gives me the impression that he has more interests than only speaking foreign languages.

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5880 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 23 of 121
23 August 2010 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
Just thought I would update this thread with a link to Luca's latest video, in which he speaks Mandarin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZAadElIN0

I heard Luca speaking Mandarin to native speakers when he was visiting me in the United Kingdom earlier this year. The native speakers he spoke to then were suitably impressed by his ability. Given he has been studying the language for less than two years makes this achievement all the more impressive to me.

Bravo Luca! :)
6 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5632 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 121
08 December 2011 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
There is a very recent interview with our forum member Luca (Poliglotta80) on a French internet website, where Luca especially explains his study methods.

The whole interview is conducted in French!

Here is the link:

Interveiw avec Luca: Luca parle 10 langues et nous explique sa methode infailible

Kind regards,

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 08 December 2011 at 7:09pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 121 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version