lapacifica.net
Joined 6708 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 33 of 121
14 March 2012 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
manish wrote:
No offense to the hyperpolyglots out there, but...

Am I the only one who finds these videos demoralizing? :D

I find them inspiring, because I know these guys were once where I am, and I feel
motivated to catch up to them :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5854 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 34 of 121
25 March 2012 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Just wanted to add in Luca and Steve's chat in various languages:

English
French
Spanish
German
Italian
Swedish
Russian
Chinese

Hope you enjoy it all! :)
7 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4474 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 35 of 121
25 March 2012 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Those were really awesome videos. I've already told him on Facebook, but Luca's Russian is impressive. Not to mention the other languages that I'm not familiar with.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6341 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 36 of 121
26 March 2012 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
Sometimes I find these sorts of videos demoralizing, but the more I listen to this guy the more I get inspired. He's got a fantastic ability in all of these languages, and it makes one feel a bit down, but when I listen to the languages in which I'm strong (Swedish, English and Mandarin), I notice a bit of an accent (very slight) and maybe a strange way of putting something or a grammatical mistake. It's never even close to enough to get in the way of communication, and it doesn't take away from his amazing achievement, but what it does for me is, it makes him human. Had he a perfect accent, vocabulary and grammar in all of his languages, I'd have hated him for it. As it is, he's "only" extremely good, and I love him for it. Go, Luca!
7 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 37 of 121
26 March 2012 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, his French and German accents are really good and his English accent is SLIGHTLY (but only really slightly) foreign and his fluency, rate of speech all correspond to that of a native. It's very impressive. From what I can tell his Russian sounds very good too.
1 person has voted this message useful

Midnight
Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4398 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English

Message 38 of 121
27 March 2012 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
My mind's just got blown. I understood only their English, German and Russian and a bit of Spanish, but it's crazy how good they are. I agree with them that Russian is more difficult than Chinese (except for the writing part) for an English speaking person. You have to do the right declension depending on case even with the numbers. But of course for me as a Czech speaker, it ain't so difficult, especially with the accent markers in the workbooks. Keep up the good work. Anyway I think Luca, Steve and Torbyrne are among my favorite hyperpolyglots. Moses hasn't proved anything yet. I mean anybody who masters the pronunciation and basic grammar can make a short video in the key language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4427 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 39 of 121
27 March 2012 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
His English is good (but he still hesitates between the Cot-Caught merged and NCVS accent). Furthermore, I haven't really heard him use a phrasal verb or a word/phrase which is not in the list of the most common 5000 English words ;) That's what makes him sound non-native. When I listen to native speakers of English, I can learn a new word/phrase in almost every monolog/dialog. He has a slight Italian accent (like Joey from Friends), ;) He reminds me of Tony Danza (from ''Who's the boss'').

I would like him to give Portuguese a try.
I still haven't heard anyone who speaks both Italian and Portuguese perfectly (except from Italians born in Italy to Brazilian mothers).

Remember that many polyglots have problems translating (Ziad did).
It's not difficult to be fluent and have a good accent.

Americans in high school have a vocabulary of 20K words.
These are some words from the 20K most frequent words list that are ignored by non natives:

''glade, banister, ordnance, prong, smoldering, enjoin, constable, melee, wintry, cajole''
;)

In speech you can limit yourself to the 5k vocabulary, but when you are given a sentence (or a passage) to translate, it is very awkard when you don't know a word 16 year old native speakers know. ;)

I learned German for 9 years but I don't have it in my list of languages because I find my performance subpar: yeah, I know the Grammar perfectly, and have a 5-6k vocabulary, but still, I can't translate everything I hear from German into Croatian.
I can read it with a native accent, and I could record myself speaking German too...what the hack, it's not that difficult to learn a text by Heart. In India, actresses from Northern India can ''speak'' Tamil or Malayalam very well for the purpose of making of a movie, they learn the script by heart, and many can pronounce the South Indian languages to perfection. But they don't speak these language. ;) It's all for the show.

Edited by Medulin on 27 March 2012 at 6:31pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4474 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 40 of 121
27 March 2012 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion, measuring fluency in a language by number of words known is like choosing the best football player of all time by using "number of titles" as your only criteria. That way, Cafú (a great former right-defender) would be better than Maradona, Messi, Cruyff, etc...
It's just silly.

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 27 March 2012 at 10:09pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 121 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version