Diglot
Germany
Joined 4154 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 73 of 121
23 March 2013 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
He is training to become an interpreter at one of the world's leading interpreting schools. You have to have talent in order to achieve the same. Everyone can learn a language, of course, but not everyone has what it takes to become an interpreter, for example.
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4502 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 74 of 121
23 March 2013 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Sterogyl wrote:
He is training to become an interpreter at one of the world's leading interpreting schools. You have to have talent in order to achieve the same. Everyone can learn a language, of course, but not everyone has what it takes to become an interpreter, for example.

I think that it's more of a question of hard work and interests than talent.
I mean, I'm not interested in becoming an interpreter, so I obviously won't work as hard as he does. On the other hand, I don't think Luca is very interested in computer programming languages as I mean, which means I'll put more hard work into it than he will.
I'm not saying that talent does not exist or that Luca isn't talented, I admire him as an icon for what I would like to be with languages one day, but I comprehend that I'm not reaching that point or evolving as fast as he is because I'm not working as hard as he does. If I were, I guarantee you that I could do a great job as an interpreter, and I'm sure you could too!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4154 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 

Message 75 of 121
24 March 2013 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Hard work is vital but not everything. Some people learn faster than others. It is not fair, but nevertheless true. Some people don't have the intellectual capacities to become an interpreter. Others can't cope with the stress. There must be a certain aptitude.

So, learning languages yes, but not at the same rate. And, thank you for your words of encouragement, but I am absolutely sure I couldn't become an interpreter, even if I wanted to. I have been good at languages all my life, but I don't have the required brains to become one. My brain is a bit too "slow", I am not attentive enough, I can't concentrate. This can be improved, but only to a certain extent, and it takes a lot of time. Also, it is a hindrance to be shy and introverted, for example. You cannot change your personality completely.

Again, I really like his learning methods and I think they are very reasonable and useful! What I like is that he doesn't overdo it like certain other language prophets who allegedly study 24 hours a day and then burn out.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5634 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 76 of 121
24 March 2013 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
Sterogyl wrote:
Hard work is vital but not everything. Some people learn faster than others. It is not fair, but nevertheless true. Some people don't have the intellectual capacities to become an interpreter. Others can't cope with the stress. There must be a certain aptitude.

On You Tube you can find many excellent videos about professional interpreters talking about their work. For interpreting you need an excellent memory and be able to improvise constantly. And the job is very stressful. My memory is a weak point and I have to avoid stress, so I have never thought in the direction of interpreting. I agree with the Sterogyl's statement that some people learn faster than others.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 24 March 2013 at 9:16am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4154 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 

Message 77 of 121
24 March 2013 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
Yes, Fasulye, you are right.

The idea of "you can achieve everything you want if you just work hard enough" is nice, but has, alas, nothing to do with reality.

In general, however, you can achieve a LOT more than you can imagine if you put in the right amount of effort. Interpreting might be an extreme case. ;)

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4502 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 78 of 121
24 March 2013 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
I agree with the Sterogyl's statement that some people learn faster than others.

I agree with that too. My point was that if I was that interested in interpreting as Luca is, I'd probably work just as hard as he does and get similar results.
Being such an accomplished learner as he is, he'd most definitely learn things faster than me, at least for the first years. I have a sister-in-law studying interpreting and and know how stressful and difficult it can be, but with practice you can become, if not perfect, at least a very good interpreter. But that's just my opinion.

But anyway, I'm not as interested in it as he is, so I won't be any close. =P

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5634 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 79 of 121
01 April 2013 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
Luca attending the Moscow language conference has just upoaded a very interesting video where he speaks Russian fluently with the Russian native speaker Dina.

The whole video is in Russian and you can put on Russian cyrillic subtitles.

Link: Luca's conversation in Russian with a native speaker

Spacibo, Luca!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 01 April 2013 at 10:26am

casamata
Joined 4049 days ago

237 posts - 377 votes 
Studies: Portuguese

Message 80 of 121
24 April 2013 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
So I'm skeptical of people that say that they know X languages very well in a short period of time. However, Luca is legit.

His English has improved noticeably, to my ears. The difference in his English from 2 years ago (obviously foreign accent but still good) to now (I'm not sure where he's from) is pretty amazing. And he actually doesn't spend too much time on each language, at least when I saw what he wrote on his blog.

Of course, he has spent years speaking his languages to reach a high level in them. But considering he hasn't been abroad for English, he must have spent a lot of time talking with natives in Italy or via Skype something. Very impressive. :)

Edit: What do other native English speakers think in regards to his improved English accent? Has it improved a lot from the earlier videos made a few years ago? I'm curious what others hear with their ears.

Edited by casamata on 24 April 2013 at 12:06am

This discussion contains 121 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version