Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Latin, French

Message 33 of 43
08 May 2010 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
Delodephius wrote:

Try this recording:
http://www.omniglot.com/soundfiles/udhr/udhr_sk.mp3

That's actually me talking. :-)

Thank you very much, Delodephius. From the first hearing I could say that it is something about "brotherly spirit", and that it sounds really lovely.

This is roughly what I hear:
Pšetsi ludja sorodja slobodni a sebjarovni, džusadeiku i dostojnostju a pravi, su obdareni rozumom a maju navzoju jednot v bratskom duhu.

Here are the portions that I am guessing at understanding:
Pšetsi [1] ludja sorodja slobodni a sebjarovni džusadeiku i [2] dostojnostju a pravi , [3] su obdareni rozumom a maju navzoju jednot v bratskom duhu .

[1] human nations (are) free and equal
[2] dignity and rights
[3] (they) have been given intelligence and find [..?] unity in the brotherly spirit

P.S. Is palatalized "t" in "jednost" somehow indicated in writing?

I keep on wanting to write it down in Cyrillic in order to be able to communicate the nuance of sounds: "Пшетцы людья сородья слободны а себяровны, джусадеику и достойностью а правы, су обдарены розумом а маю навзою едноть в братском духу."

1 person has voted this message useful

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5190 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 34 of 43
08 May 2010 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Actually this is the text I was reading:

Všetci ľudia sa rodia slobodní a sebe rovní, čo sa týka ich dôstojnosti a práv. Sú obdarení rozumom a majú navzájom jednať v bratskom duchu.

And here is the Russian version:

Все люди рождаются свободными и равными в своем достоинстве и правах. Они наделены разумом и совестью и должны поступать в отношении друг друга в духе братства.

I have the text in almost all Slavic languages if you would like to see?

Edited by Delodephius on 08 May 2010 at 11:29am

Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5127 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Czech, EnglishC2, GermanC1, SpanishC2, French

Message 35 of 43
08 May 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Well done Cherepaha, I see that you understood what it was about very well. Im happy to see the theory works :)

Delodephius, you have a very nice pronunciation, I must say, unlike me - even though I speak Slovak at home, I always get a slight Czech accent over here in Prague which I have to get rid of every time I go to Slovakia.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6943 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 36 of 43
08 May 2010 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Euphorion wrote:
You shouldnt forget about Slovak - it is said to be a gateway to other Slavic languages, the southest and the eastest of the western Slavic languages, it is very clear and has a relatively simple and modern grammar.

This idea of Slovak being the least mutually unintelligible natural language for other Slavs has been brought up before.

how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1954 6&PN=1&TPN=6#222530

Euphorion wrote:
Theoretically every Slav would understand Slovak.

I thought that Slovio was supposed to be most understandable for every Slav. :-P

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5190 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 

Message 37 of 43
09 May 2010 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
Euphorion wrote:
Delodephius, you have a very nice pronunciation, I must say, unlike me - even though I speak Slovak at home, I always get a slight Czech accent over here in Prague which I have to get rid of every time I go to Slovakia.

Well my dialect has suffered absolutely 0% influence from Czech, because I don't live in Slovakia. It has suffered little from Serbian too. Mainly because here in Vojvodina the situation is mostly one language per village. So I basically speak a dialect that has remained almost unchanged for over 250 years because of relative isolation from other languages. And yet we are all bilingual or polyglots, it's just we try to keep the border between the languages clear.

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6376 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 

Message 38 of 43
12 May 2010 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Delodephius wrote:
I have the text in almost all Slavic languages if you would like to see?

Thank you, Delodephius. Yes, it'll be very interesting to see. I am assuming you are talking about the recordings at the Omniglot site? This is what I found, please let me know if I should look at anything in addition to this impressive library: http://www.omniglot.com/soundfiles/

Euphorion wrote:
Well done Cherepaha, I see that you understood what it was about very well. I’m happy to see the theory works :)

:). I am glad, too, Euphorion. It may be a particularly favorable text for understanding, as when I follow the URLs posted by Chung in some earlier thread to the WorldReference.com, the Slovak weather forecast is very difficult to follow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QCmAZYsUy8&eurl=http://vide o.google.com/videosearch?q=stv+po%C4%8Dasie&www_google_domai n=www.google.com&emb=0)
This whole discussion made me dive into a very interesting exploration, though. Thank you for that!

P.S. "Stupnew" appears to mean "degrees (Centigrade)". If that is so, does anybody happen to know the etymology of this word in Slovak?

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5190 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 

Message 39 of 43
12 May 2010 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
The singular form "stupeň" meaning "degrees" derives from the same root as the verb "stúpať" which means "to step", "to make steps". Thus "stup" would mean the same as English "step". "Stupeň" can also mean "level"

Also, here is an attempt to translate the UDHR Article 1 into Old Church Slavonic. There are three different versions, even though there can be more.

Вьси людиѥ своимь достоиньствомь и правы свободь и равьни сѧ раждаѭтъ: Обдарѥни сѫтъ разѹмомь и съвѣстиѭ· и творити же имъ себѣ iако братри:

Вьси людиѥ своимь достоиньствомь и правы свободь и равьни сѧ раждаѭтъ: Обдарѥни сѫтъ разѹмомь и съвѣстиѭ· и дѣiати же си имѫтъ братрьскы:

Вьси человѣци своимь достоиньствомь и правы свободь и равьни сѧ родѧтъ: Обдарѥни сѫтъ разѹмомь и съвѣстиѭ· и принимати же имъ дроугъ дроуга iако братри:

Edited by Delodephius on 12 May 2010 at 10:56am

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6376 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 

Message 40 of 43
12 May 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Delodephius wrote:
The singular form "stupeň" meaning "degrees" derives from the same root as the verb "stúpať" which means "to step", "to make steps". Thus "stup" would mean the same as English "step". "Stupeň" can also mean "level"

I see, that meaning is clear. Delodephius, what is the meteorologist saying at minutes 1:05-1:06 in the weather forecast I'd referenced in my last post, if you don't mind looking? It sounds like "Až minus 9 stupnew".

Delodephius wrote:

Also, here is an attempt to translate the UDHR Article 1 into Old Church Slavonic. There are three different versions, even though there can be more.

Вьси людиѥ своимь достоиньствомь и правы свободь и равьни сѧ раждаѭтъ: Обдарѥни сѫтъ разѹмомь и съвѣстиѭ· и творити же имъ себѣ iако братри:

Вьси людиѥ своимь достоиньствомь и правы свободь и равьни сѧ раждаѭтъ: Обдарѥни сѫтъ разѹмомь и съвѣстиѭ· и дѣiати же си имѫтъ братрьскы:

Вьси человѣци своимь достоиньствомь и правы свободь и равьни сѧ родѧтъ: Обдарѥни сѫтъ разѹмомь и съвѣстиѭ· и принимати же имъ дроугъ дроуга iако братри:

I find all three very clear with "творити" ~ to create/do onto, "дѣiати" ~to do, and "принимати" ~accept as the chief difference.

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version