William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6031 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 17 of 43
22 May 2009 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
I have heard it said that Russians find Poles easier to understand than vice versa. I have the impression Czech and Slovenian are the Slavic languages most remote from the others.

The Russian written language is influenced by Church Slavonic, which is basically Old Bulgarian. This may account for resemblances between written Russian and Bulgarian. The spoken languages seem different. I have listened to Bulgarians talking on the phone and scarcely understood a word, based on a fairly good knowledge of Russian and lesser knowledge of Polish.   
1 person has voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5793 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 18 of 43
22 May 2009 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
The Russian written language is influenced by Church Slavonic, which is basically Old Bulgarian. This may account for resemblances between written Russian and Bulgarian. The spoken languages seem different. I have listened to Bulgarians talking on the phone and scarcely understood a word, based on a fairly good knowledge of Russian and lesser knowledge of Polish.   

Hmm... possibly. It's easier for me to understand Russian in the written form rather than speech. I suppose it is the same for Russians. Whether or not the reason is to be found in Church Slavonic, I don't know.

Edited by Sennin on 22 May 2009 at 10:08pm

paparaciii
Diglot
Latvia
Joined 6095 days ago

204 posts - 223 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian
Studies: English

Message 19 of 43
23 May 2009 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Too much exaggeration going on here.

Slavic languages share some similarities but not to the extent that some are advocating.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 20 of 43
23 May 2009 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
How do you mean?

Nadav3
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6074 days ago

13 posts - 12 votes
Studies: Ukrainian*, English

Message 21 of 43
26 April 2010 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
leonidus wrote:
Being Russian, I can understand 50-70% of Ukrainian, and probably about 30-40% of Polish. It depends on the context, topic, etc. I can't speak in them, just understand since many words have the same roots as their Russian equivalents. So I can get the gist and sometimes details too.

I am Ukrainian and was wondering if you know this word:

Взагалі, я зовсім не підтримую нового Президента України. До мене, не зрозуміло чому так багато Україців би проголосовали за Януковича.

Таке змагання за президентство не відаю!

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6348 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Latin, French

Message 22 of 43
26 April 2010 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
Russianbear wrote:

For example, a Bulgarian Wiki article on 'Растения'("Plants") is relatively transparent to me. The Bulgarian word for "plants" itself is not just close to its Russian equivalent - it is actually written exactly the same way the corresponding Russian word is. When I switch to the SCB entry for the same article, not only don't I recognize the name of the article - "Biljka" - I cannot even think of any Russian cognate that would be relevant.

Perhaps the Russian equivalent is "былинка"?

БЫЛИ́НКА, былинки, ·жен.
1. Стебелек травы. Там не растет ни былинки. (A blade of grass. Not a blade of grass grows there.)
2. перен. Молодая, стройная женщина, девушка. (Figurative: a young slender girl, woman)

Edited by Cherepaha on 28 April 2010 at 12:12am

leonidus
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6085 days ago

113 posts - 123 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 23 of 43
26 April 2010 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Nadav3 wrote:
leonidus wrote:
Being Russian, I can understand 50-70% of Ukrainian, and probably about 30-40% of Polish. It depends on the context, topic, etc. I can't speak in them, just understand since many words have the same roots as their Russian equivalents. So I can get the gist and sometimes details too.

I am Ukrainian and was wondering if you know this word:

Взагалі, я зовсім не підтримую нового Президента України. До мене, не зрозуміло чому так багато Україців би проголосовали за Януковича.

Таке змагання за президентство не відаю!

Hello,

well, like I said I get the gist of what you said alright, some of the words have the same structure as in Russian so I get the idea, others can be guessed from the context.
Only a few words I can't figure out:

Взагалі,
Таке змагання

But I guess they don't change the meaning much :)

Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5099 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Czech, EnglishC2, GermanC1, SpanishC2, French

Message 24 of 43
07 May 2010 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
You shouldnt forget about Slovak - it is said to be a gateway to other Slavic languages, the southest and the eastest of the western Slavic languages, it is very clear and has a relatively simple and modern grammar. Theoretically every Slav would understand Slovak.

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version