Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5162 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 41 of 43
12 May 2010 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
She is saying "stupňov" which is the Genitive plural of "stupeň".
1 person has voted this message useful

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6348 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Latin, French

Message 42 of 43
14 May 2010 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Delodephius wrote:
She is saying "stupňov" which is the Genitive plural of "stupeň".

Thank you. I cannot really follow this weather forecast in Slovak. And in the rare instances where things start to appear to make sense, while pointing at a meteorological map with "-9" degrees marked on it, the meteorologist says "Až minus 9 stupňov" ("As many as/the entire 9 steps"). Yet, I suppose this is a complete digression from the thread, so let us just leave this subject and return to the original discussion.

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6348 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Latin, French

Message 43 of 43
12 August 2016 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Russianbear wrote:
For example, a Bulgarian Wiki article on 'Растения'("Plants") is relatively transparent to me.
The Bulgarian word for "plants" itself is not just close to its Russian equivalent - it is actually written exactly the
same way the corresponding Russian word is. When I switch to the SCB entry for the same article, not only don't I
recognize the name of the article - "Biljka" - I cannot even think of any Russian cognate that would be relevant. And
it is not just one word - I could easily think of other examples. So I am a little surprised to hear that it is that much
easier for a native speaker of Bulgarian to understand Serbian compared compared to Russian. But maybe a lot of it
is subjective.

You could think of былинка [ bil’inka ] in Russian – a diminutive for a “blade of grass”.

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version