Abik
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5479 days ago

8 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, Italian, English

Message 17 of 21
20 May 2009 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
I think you should merit rosetta for the capacity of making ANY languge accassible, for related languages I foresee frustation, I, dutch, like arabic rosetta, but i would not use it to improve my German,
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 20 of 21
21 May 2009 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
Abik wrote:
Rosetta has "cracked" arabic for me

When you say "cracked", it sounds very much like you had already been learning but didn't feel you had been progressing. But that makes Rosetta Stone the "missing ingredient", not the full cake.

I can easily see how RS will be useful for people who have existing knowledge but haven't been exposed to any sort of "interactive" environment, but I can't really see it as a full course.

It is sold as a full course. It is priced as a full course. If it was a lot cheaper I would agree that it's worth having, but it isn't, so it's not.

mick33
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 21 of 21
21 May 2009 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
I looked at the mini-sample on the RS wbesite and also tried out the program at a shopping mall dispaly and was not impressed, so I won't be buying it. RS seems very expensive especially after I realized the much better Assimil or Linguagphone programs are a little less expensive, even Teach Yourself or Colloquial courses seem to be better and are much cheaper besides.

Edited by mick33 on 22 May 2009 at 6:42pm

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version