33 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6902 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 17 of 33
12 December 2005 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
Nothing in common? So after learning Spanish go with Finnish? That doesn't seem like very practical reasoning.
1 person has voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6813 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 33
12 December 2005 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Sir Nigel wrote:
That doesn't seem like very practical reasoning.

I'd have to agree. Perhaps when you know three or four similar languages then you could try a harder one.

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6902 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 19 of 33
12 December 2005 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
For those who have that book. Where does he say that? I'm curious to hear what he says as I have the book but don't want to look through its entirety try to find the reference on your next language choice.

Kveldulv
Italy
Joined 6751 days ago

222 posts - 244 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Italian*

Message 20 of 33
05 January 2006 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
Sir Nigel wrote:
For those who have that book. Where does he say that? I'm curious to hear what he says as I have the book but don't want to look through its entirety try to find the reference on your next language choice.

In the chapter "Last words before the wedding"->"your second foreign language, your third and so on.."

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6902 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 21 of 33
11 January 2006 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Kveldulv wrote:
Barry Farber says that it's better to learn a language with nothing in common with your last language studied.

I just read that part, he actually says "your second language need have no connection to your first." He's not saying that there shouldn't be a connection, just that no matter what your second language you learnt was, future ones will be easier.

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6747 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 22 of 33
11 January 2006 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Our own Administrator seems to have studied Italian right after having learned Spanish, and apparently with great success. As long as you follow his advice and be wary of "false friends", I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to keep French and Spanish apart after much practice in both languages. However, he advises against overlapping your study of two related languages-- make sure you fully "master" your Spanish before moving on to French. Otherwise, not only could you get confused, but you could risk offending people with a mishmash of languages.

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6902 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 23 of 33
11 January 2006 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
make sure you fully "master" your Spanish before moving on to French. Otherwise, not only could you get confused, but you could risk offending people with a mishmash of languages.

That's exactly what I haven't done and I must say I neither get Spanish and French mixed up, nor do I speak with a mishmash of languages. When I first started with French, I had minor issues of wanting to use a Spanish word, but I wasn't confused and always caught myself when there was a problem. I'm just giving my personal example.

Edited by Sir Nigel on 11 January 2006 at 1:26pm

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6747 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 24 of 33
12 January 2006 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Sir Nigel wrote:
Lucky Charms wrote:
make sure you fully "master" your Spanish before moving on to French. Otherwise, not only could you get confused, but you could risk offending people with a mishmash of languages.

That's exactly what I haven't done and I must say I neither get Spanish and French mixed up, nor do I speak with a mishmash of languages. When I first started with French, I had minor issues of wanting to use a Spanish word, but I wasn't confused and always caught myself when there was a problem. I'm just giving my personal example.

And I was just reiterating Francois's advice on the site. I really wouldn't know myself, having never studied even one Romance language! :(

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version