Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 57 of 96
20 October 2010 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
nebojats wrote:
I've just looked through the thread and some people say Spanish isn't completely perfect
(although what language is?).

I would very much like someone to present a random Spanish word which couldn't be pronounced correctly just
from knowing the rules of pronunciation.

What about mexicano?

It's harder the other way around since there are sounds that can be written in more than one way: avería, havería,
abería or habería? Jirafa or girafa? In any dialect with seseo, ceceo or yeísmo the number of examples are endless.
Just to give one: cebolla, sebolla, cevolla, sevolla, ceboya, seboya, cevoya, sevoya.
1 person has voted this message useful

nebojats
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4977 days ago

89 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Italian

Message 58 of 96
21 October 2010 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
Oh yeah!!! The X... sometimes like an English H, or KS, or S. I didn't think about that. I'm wrong! If it's just one letter out of the alphabet, though... not too bad. Are there any other letters that can't be spoken with certainity?

It's true that hearing to writing could be a bit of a problem, as you could spell multiple ways (any chatroom will reveal tons of teenagers switching their b's and v's).

rltodd
United States
Joined 5194 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 59 of 96
23 May 2012 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
Like one individual some time ago in this thread, I vote "Hawaiian." If I can see it in print, I can say it. And if I hear a word enunciated, I can spell it correctly *almost* every time. Now if I could just get my ear trained to hear reliably the difference between a couple of diphthongs and long vowels, I could claim the latter at 100%.

E ola mau loa ka ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i!

Pisces
Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4403 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 60 of 96
23 May 2012 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
I don't like being pedantic as much as I used to, but all languages besides sign languages are "phonetic". What we are talking about here is having a phonemic orthography/spelling.

Finnish does, nearly as much as it could, but not everyone pronounces everything the same way, even though words generally only have one spelling. Some words like 'sydämen' have a single consonant even though it's pronounced double (the 'm') - also words with 'v', for some reason - 'vauva' (baby), 'hauva' (doggy) are pronounced 'vauvva', 'hauvva'. Also I don't know that 'sairaalloinen' (sickly) actually has a double l in speech (I really don't know).

And, as someone said, the writing system doesn't reflect sandhi, but if it did, that would make it more difficult to learn, and I'm not sure what the benefit would be.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4927 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 61 of 96
26 May 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
The portuguese "s" can be spelled as "s", "ss", "sc", "sç", "c", "ç", "x", "xc", "xç" and
the obsolete "xs".

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 62 of 96
03 June 2012 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
My wife (who learned it in primary school) tells me that Welsh is fairly phonetic. This
may come as a surprise to many English speakers, but that's just because they don't know
the rules, and if they try to apply the "rules" of English to it, it doesn't work of
course.

I am a little bit surprised to find that Irish isn't the same in this respect, but I
suppose it is a different branch of Celtic.

baja23
Yugoslavia
Joined 4321 days ago

1 posts - 3 votes

Message 63 of 96
20 June 2012 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
hahahaha “If you can't spell it, don't write it.” what a fascist point of view.
I am from Serbia.Voock Carajitz(tz is ć one letter that you don't have at all)(I tried to
make this sounds like its suppose to sound when an English person reads it)( type vuk
karadzic to find out more) created our letter and his main rule was:"One letter,one
sound". It is much more natural to use phonetic alphabet,our's has no accent written but
at least you always know how to read the letters and we don't say r=ar when pronounced or
k=kei,for every letter we only say that letter.Try it.r,k,a=a not ei etc.I think that
learning any kind of phonetic language is great for distinguishing vowel as single
units,and letters as their faithful copies.   
3 persons have voted this message useful

miky95
Diglot
Romania
Joined 4305 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Romanian*, English

Message 64 of 96
06 July 2012 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Romanian is a phonetic language that uses an alphabet 26 characters of the Latin alphabet plus a series of five additional characters formed by applying special characters: ă, â, î, ș, ț.

Japanese is a phonetic language because of hiragana and katakana wich make it easier to learn.

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version