Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4455 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 65 of 96
06 July 2012 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Spanish is the most phonetic language out there, if you know the rules of pronunciaton you can always read a written text aloud in a correct way.

Italian and Portuguese are not phonetic, because both open and close E and O vowels are represented with the same grapheme:

venti (vènti) open E = winds
venti (vénti) close E = twenty

corso (còrso) open O = Corse, Corsican
corso (córso) close O = course

and so on...there are around 5000 minimal pairs
(but, the correct pronunciation of E, O is important even when there are no minimal pairs, for example if you pronounce MORTO with a close stressed O, you will sound non-native). The 7 vowel system is based on Central Italian (both Central Italian dialects and the standard RAI languae feature them). Outside Italy, most accents HAVE the 7 vowel system, but their distribution from the standard is different! So, in Milan Italian PERCHÉ, VENTITRÉ have the open stressed E, and are sometimes spelled PERCHÈ, VENTITRÈ to mark the regional pronunciation.

In Portuguese, the system is similar, 7 oral vowels (+ Â in Continental Portuguese, which is not a phoneme in Brazil, but only an allophone):

começo (comêço) closed e, noun = the beginning
começo (coméço) open e, verb = I begin

In 90% of cases, Italian and Portuguese have the same vowel (because of its origin in Latin), but there are differences too:

adóro (close E in Italian), adóro (open E in Portuguese) = I adore
tócco (close O in It), tóco (open O in Portuguese) = I touch
la néve (close E in it), a néve (open E in Pt) = snow
il gèlo (open E in it), o gêlo (close E in pt) = ice
mórto (open O in It), môrto (close O in pt) = dead

Italians speaking Portuguese, and Portuguese/Brazilians speaking Italian
can have a funny accent if they don't pay attention to their differences,

In Norwegian and Swedish, many times the tones/tonemes are not predictable from the spelling, you have to check the word in a dictionary (for example words UTTALE ''pronunciation'' and SAMTALE ''dialog'' have different tones in Norwegian). In Norwegian sometimes the vowel length is not prectable from the spelling. In German as well: HOCH (long vowel, and therefore close O), DOCH (short vowel and therefore open O).

In Croatian, these things are not indicated in spelling
1. the position of stress
2. the quantity of the stressed vowel (long or short)
3. the tonal quality of the stressed vowel (rising or falling)
4. the quantity of unstressed vowels (many words have post-stressed long vowels, indicated in dictionaries with a macron)
5. weather R is a pure consonant (as in LURDSKI = from Lourdes, France) or
ZELENORTSKI (syllabic R; ze-le-no-rt-ski; Cape Verdean)

But, in Croatian, all these things can be considered secondary, 60% of Croatian accents/dialects have no tonal opposition, 30% of all accents have further lost the vowel length opposition, and the correct stress can change the meaning of words in very few cases, in my dialect Otrovan (stress on the 1st O) = poisonous, otrOvan (stress on the 2nd O) = poisoned (in standard language both otrovan=poisonous and otrovan=poisoned are stressed on the 1st O, but the tone is different!; my accent has no tonal and vowel length opposition, but I can still identify vowel length if needed, but guessing the right tone from the written text is impossible to me!)

Edited by Medulin on 06 July 2012 at 8:47pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5240 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 66 of 96
06 July 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
Spanish is the most phonetic language out there, if you know the rules of pronunciaton you can
always read a written text aloud in a correct way.

Except when you come across such words as mexicano.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 67 of 96
06 July 2012 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
miky95 wrote:
Japanese is a phonetic language because of hiragana and katakana wich make
it easier to learn.

This must be some form of Japanese other than the one I'm learning, which has vowels that
run away and hide sometimes, to say nothing of pitch accent. Anyway, pronunciation isn't
the hard part with Japanes: it's everything else :-)

Pisces
Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4409 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 68 of 96
07 July 2012 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:

In Norwegian and Swedish, many times the tones/tonemes are not predictable from the spelling, you have to check the word in a dictionary (for example words UTTALE ''pronunciation'' and SAMTALE ''dialog'' have different tones in Norwegian). In Norwegian sometimes the vowel length is not prectable from the spelling. In German as well: HOCH (long vowel, and therefore close O), DOCH (short vowel and therefore open O).

What do you mean by tones? The stress? The pitch? I've never seen a Swedish dictionary that marks the pitch accent of a word in any way.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5240 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 69 of 96
07 July 2012 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Pisces wrote:
I've never seen a Swedish dictionary that marks the pitch accent of a word in any way.

It's not normally marked in Norwegian dictionaries either, but sometimes it is, at least for a few words. In Einar
Haugen's Norwegian–English dictionary it is marked consistently throughout the dictionary.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 70 of 96
07 July 2012 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Pisces wrote:
I've never seen a Swedish dictionary that marks the pitch accent of a word in any way.

Have a look at Langenscheidt's Swedish-German/German-Swedish dictionaries. They give the pitch accent for every single word -- which is absolutely necessary for learners. Monolingual Swedish dictionaries may not mark the accents, because native speakers know them already.

Edited by Josquin on 07 July 2012 at 10:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4615 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 71 of 96
08 July 2012 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Pisces wrote:
I've never seen a Swedish dictionary that marks the
pitch accent of a word in any way.

Have a look at Langenscheidt's Swedish-German/German-Swedish dictionaries. They give
the pitch accent for every single word -- which is absolutely necessary for
learners. Monolingual Swedish dictionaries may not mark the accents, because native
speakers know them already.

hmmm....with all due respect, that's not a good reason.

Large English monolingual dictionaries usually have stress and pronunciation marked.
Native speakers might usually know them, but there are always the odd ones you don't
know for sure.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 72 of 96
08 July 2012 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
It was just a theory. Frankly, I can't imagine a reliable dictionary that doesn't mark the pitch accent.
Even more so as different pitch can be different meaning: e.g. "anden", "tomten", "tanken" etc.

Edited by Josquin on 08 July 2012 at 1:18am

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version