languagelearners.myf
Joined 5776 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 1 of 10
19 May 2009 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
Hello,

I just thought I would bring this bookshop to the attention of the Australians in the forum. I know that there are some:

I was quite impressed by it: a good range of languages. Heaps of stuff for the major european ones and asian ones as well. Located in the heart of Sydney, I spent a bit of time just browsing through trying not to buy things: I failed and got three books.

Anyway,I think that it is well worth a look, if only online.

1 person has voted this message useful

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5812 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 
Studies: Yiddish, English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 2 of 10
22 May 2009 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
I've spent about 2000 dollars there in the last couple of months and I live 2 hours away! Great store.

It's on York street I believe. Near the Queen Victoria building.

being in Sydney it is hard to get cheap parking so don't take too long as I did the first time (32 dollars parking on the 7th level underground :D).

Their best collections are German, French, Spanish, Chinese and Japanese.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5776 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 3 of 10
22 May 2009 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
They have heaps of Italian too, a decent 'eastern european' section. And atleast a few things on any other language you could think of.

fluve
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6456 days ago

9 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 4 of 10
30 May 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm from Melbourne and we already have a reasonable foreign language bookstore here. However on the few occassions when they did not have what I was after and I didn't want to waste time ordering from o/s I have used the Abbey's website. I highly recommend the service, the books have always been dispatched rapidly and have been as described. I'll be up in Sydney in a month or two and may well check out the store itself.

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6155 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 5 of 10
30 May 2009 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
I'm boycotting the Melbourne Foreign Language Bookshop after I spotted a flimsy book on Georgian or Armenian (with 1 or 2 cassette tapes) - going for about $300! I went across the road (Dymocks) and asked how much they could get it for ($95 or so) and when I went back to the other side of the street and suggested they had made a mistake with the price, they sarcastically told me they could charge anything they liked. And then they wonder why people rather buy online from amazon etc. rather than buy from a real bookshop...

Edited by Budz on 30 May 2009 at 2:18pm

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5451 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 10
27 September 2009 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the recommendation of Abbey's.

I just spent a month in Sydney and based on your recommendation visited Abbey's several times. What an astonishingly comprehensive collection of books and languages.

To be honest, the prices of some of the books were eye-wateringly high so I only bought a couple of books there. Still, I browsed through hundreds over several hours, and wrote down the details of those I really liked, which I then ordered through amazon (for half the price or less).

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6797 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 10
27 September 2009 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Still, I browsed through hundreds over several hours, and wrote down the details of those I really liked, which I then ordered through amazon (for half the price or less).

That's exactly what I do in most bookshops.

Eumaeus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5386 days ago

75 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 8 of 10
18 October 2009 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
Budz wrote:
I'm boycotting the Melbourne Foreign Language Bookshop after I spotted a flimsy book on Georgian or Armenian (with 1 or 2 cassette tapes) - going for about $300! I went across the road (Dymocks) and asked how much they could get it for ($95 or so) and when I went back to the other side of the street and suggested they had made a mistake with the price, they sarcastically told me they could charge anything they liked. And then they wonder why people rather buy online from amazon etc. rather than buy from a real bookshop...

I'm with you Budz. I've spent several hundred dollars at Melbourne Foreign Language Bookshop over the past few months but will never go there again. I did , however, stumble upon a wonderful little place in Perth recently. Le Forum in Fremantle. It's a wholesale and retail French book and music shop, rather than a language store. However, they carry Assimil, will get anything from the Assimil range for you and deliver anywhere in Australia. I had a lovely chat with Jacques, the owner, whilst there. What a gentleman. He mentioned that he had been supplying the Melbourne Foreign Language Bookshop but had severed ties because, in his words, 'I want to live a happy life, not deal with people like this'.
Anyway, enough of my rant. If you are looking for Assimil or French material in Australia, give Jacques at Le Forum in Fremantle a call.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version