Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1
Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5936 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 9 of 10
26 May 2009 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
If your interest is mainly in Meiji-era Japan, English is no doubt the main Western language for primary source material. The Dutch influence during the bakufu period came mainly in the form of translated scientific manuals, primary source material in Dutch, AFAIK, is very minimal; Chinese would actually be another good primary source material for the study of the influence of Western science during the bakufu, since the laws restricting any reference to Christianity did not apply for translations in Chinese. This book shown on wikipedia is in Chinese with kanbun markings. Besides their native language, the Portuguese missionaries published stuff in Latin as well like this grammar.

Nevertheless, the main languages for primary sources should still be the language of the culture in question.

For secondary academic sources, I'm sorry but I do not know which language would be most useful.
1 person has voted this message useful

Anekantavada
United States
Joined 5522 days ago

11 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, French

Message 10 of 10
27 May 2009 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Sgt.Pepper wrote:

Where is this information coming from? I am not trying to contradict you or be rude,
I'm just wondering on what you base these statements... as this is very much my
future. Please tell me more about this if you can.

As to related fields, I might choose to take that path on graduate level. As it is I
am considering to double my current major with either Sociology or Cultural
Anthropology. My research interests are at this point a bit undeveloped but so far I
believe they lie in the study of japanese culture/society mid-1800's to
present. (I do realise that this is very broad... but I'm only a Freshman undergrad
now)

Unfortunately I cannot point you to any particular source as it is merely something I have read in and heard from several places while researching my own future prospects. It also seems sort of intuitive that more specialized departments such as Asian Studies or Near Eastern Studies would generally receive less funding than, say, Political Science or History. This may not matter as much at elite universities such as Harvard, Yale or U Chicago, but I imagine it is still problematic.

Regarding my last comment, given the recent trend of less tenured professorships and the oversaturation of PhDs, especially in the humanities, you have to outwork everyone and have a good deal of luck/connexions along the way. Where you earn your degree is obviously equally important in predicting future success: In recent years, ninety percent of those who received their doctorate from the Religious Studies department at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, for instance, have secured tenure-track positions in a highly limited job market. My advice is to do undergraduate research and intimately acquaint yourself with several professors in your perspective field. Academia is not for the faint-hearted, but hopefully we will both find success (as I too plan on entering the ivory tower).

Edited by Anekantavada on 27 May 2009 at 12:14am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version