Tetraglot
Sweden
Joined 5743 days ago

101 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 1 of 16
26 May 2009 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Right now I'm in two minds about whether to start studying Icelandic or to wait with it. I love Icelandic it is such a
beautiful language and I speak Swedish so it shouldn't be to hard I can already understand some of it.

Right now I'm studying a lot of Spanish. My Spanish skills are intermediate bordering to basic fluency in some
areas. I have read quite a lot of books in Spanish and my comprehension is fine but I'm a horrible speaker mostly
because I'm to slow.
When it comes to Mandarin I have barely started I'm just learning a few basic words and sentences and basically
getting used to the language. So I would be learning Icelandic and Mandarin at the same time. Is that a good idea?
Sure Icelandic and Mandarin would be hard to confuse but anyway. Are there any good materials for Icelandic? I
know that small languages are usually problematic when it comes to materials.       

[Edit:typo]

Edited by eoinda on 28 May 2009 at 4:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 16
26 May 2009 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
First of all, as you have already said, you won't mix them up, so go ahead. The worst thing that can happen is that you get bored and quit either of the two languages.

As for resources, you may have seen http://icelandic.hi.is/ which is a free online course. There are also Teach Yourself Icelandic, Colloquial Icelandic, and of course real material - written sources such as the Edda.

Good luck.

locheachles
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5456 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese*
Studies: Polish, Russian, Dutch

Message 3 of 16
26 May 2009 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
I have forayed into Icelandic before myself, and do keep in mind the material is very limited. But you are in Sweden so there isn't too much preventing you from getting there within in a reasonable price. Move there for a summer and you'd be near operational noting the language similarities. Then you won't have to study too much directly and can focus on getting more ground in Sino languages.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6398 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 16
26 May 2009 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Here are two more links:

Mímir: A decent grammar reference.

Icelandic Online Dictionary and Readings: There are parallel Icelandic-English readings here which are aimed at beginners. Great for practice.
2 persons have voted this message useful

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6167 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 16
27 May 2009 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Yes finding materials for it is hard.

The old linguaphone Icelandic is the best I've come across for learning Icelandic.
Colloquial Icelandic is also very good.

Edited by zerothinking on 27 May 2009 at 1:32am

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6111 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 6 of 16
29 May 2009 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Uz-translations has an electronic copy of the apparently excellent Linguaphone Icelandic course, so you'd do very well to obtain that as well.

Tupiniquim
Brazil
Joined 5878 days ago

184 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, Russian

Message 7 of 16
31 May 2009 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 

Edited by Tupiniquim on 01 August 2009 at 12:03am

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5633 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 8 of 16
01 June 2009 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
eoinda, I don't think you have to actually study it in a conventional way, since you are Swedish.

A friend of mine (Swedish) moved there, and when I went visiting her about 6-7 months afterwards, she seemed to be speaking Icelandic, more or less. She could understand what people were saying while I hardly understood anything. She said it was just like a "switch" and once she understood how it was different from Swedish, and learnt a the words that are unique to Icelandic, it was not very hard... Plus the Icelanders where able to switch to a more "Nordic-friendly" way of speaking if she didn't understand.

I was very impressed but I met some Norwegians there, and they said the same thing although they got frustrated because of some of the Icelandic words that are very different from Norwegian and they had not expected that. I think the Icelanders have made up their own words for quite a lot of modern words, instead of using English imports.

My friend had no prior knowledge and she said she hadn't made a big effort, just spent a few hours here and there checking books etc. She is not particularly talented with languages and was on Iceland to do biology research. However she's still there because she likes it and met someone..

Anyway, I think you could approach in a different way than you would approach Russian, Italian or some language that is completely different from Swedish.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is material specifically for Swedes or other Scandinavians which is "shortcuts" since you don't have to start from scratch like an English or French person would.

When I was in school there was a mandatory couple of weeks or so of "Nordic language comprehension" as part of Swedish. Nobody had any trouble with No / Dk but of course, Icelandic was a problem. However the teacher said she was able to understand it, and proved by dissecting some spoken Icelandic (supposedly).

I really think it's a matter of practicing and like my friend said; exposure and some basic information will allow you to understand and speak it. Getting something like Pimsleur Icelandic (if there is one) seems OTT for a Scandinavian person.

Edited by cordelia0507 on 01 June 2009 at 12:19pm

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version