Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
16 messages over 2 pages: 1

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 16
29 July 2009 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
primarily for Scandinavians: there is a good and not too expensive Swedish-Icelandic dictionary from Norstedts Akademiska Förlag. I bought it in June in Reykjavik (in the bookstore Mál og Menning on Laugarveginn), so I have no idea what the price is in Sweden - where it is printed - or in other countries. The Dönsk-Íslenzk Orðabók from the publishing house Mál and Menning is big and contains a lot of expressions, but it is lopsided to suit the needs of Icelanders, not Danish learners of their language. I checked through several other fairly big dictionaries 'Something'->Icelandic during my visit in Reykjavik, but all the books I checked out had the same problem: they were written for Icelanders, and therefore they contained a lot of information about language X, but nothing much about the Icelandic words.

From Icelandic to Danish there are several old dictionaries, including one from Isafoldarprentsmiðjan (written by Águst Sigurðsson), but the one I will recommend is the Icelandic-English dictionary from Iðunnar - it is simply one of the best dictionaries I have got for any language combination. I have forgotten what I paid, but it doesn't matter - it has been worth every krónur. I ordered mine from Bóksala in Reykjavík by e-mail.

The best Icelandic grammar I have seen until now is online and bears the proud name KENNSLUB. There is only one catch - it is in Italian, sorry. I don't own a good Icelandic grammar on paper right now.

One of the better paperbased textbooks I have seen is the one by Daisy L Neijmann: Colloquial Icelandic (Routledge). But I quite generally don't like textbooks.

Edited by Iversen on 29 July 2009 at 10:32pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

densou
Italy
foto.webalice.it/denRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5927 days ago

120 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: Italian*

Message 10 of 16
30 July 2009 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
The best Icelandic grammar I have seen until now is online and bears the proud name KENNSLUB. There is only one catch - it is in Italian, sorry. I don't own a good Icelandic grammar on paper right now

Its English translation might be the EIGHTH World Wonder.
Damn, my hopeless humorism has struck again *sorrrry*
Am I wrong or I was the guy who spread that huge course among threads here as the first ? *blushing*
Source :p
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 16
30 July 2009 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
I don't know who mentioned it first, but I discovered it by myself through Google, and I actually like it - it is not just a joke!

Btw the link above didn't work, but this one does (see 18/3 2008)

Edited by Iversen on 30 July 2009 at 9:59am

Gamauyun
Diglot
United States
Joined 5443 days ago

26 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Romanian, German

Message 12 of 16
13 August 2009 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
There are also Teach Yourself Icelandic, Colloquial Icelandic, and of course real material - written sources such as the Edda.

How much of what you learn in Icelandic can be immediately transferred into Old Norse? I mean, does the ability to read a modern Icelandic novel immediately allow you to read the Sagas in Old Norse, or does it require a lot of additional study to understand the more archaic language?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 16
13 August 2009 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Oh, I didn't even consider that the Edda was written quite a while ago, but it's my assumption that Icelandic speakers can read Old Norse without too much difficulty.
Text samples at Wikipedia

densou
Italy
foto.webalice.it/denRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5927 days ago

120 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: Italian*

Message 14 of 16
14 August 2009 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
It's my assumption that Icelandic speakers can read Old Norse without too much difficulty.

Not true, I asked an acquaintance (native Icelander) to re-arrange Edda's introduction for using it as MSN signature :P He took a little amount of time....then he told me it's not so easier as it seems. (well, but still less harder than performing a traslation to Italian from Latin :P )

andersh
Diglot
Joined 5365 days ago

7 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Icelandic

Message 15 of 16
25 August 2009 at 10:09am | IP Logged 

For Swedes there is one necessary and sufficient book:

Lärobok i nutida isländska
Ingegerd Fries
Häftad. Bokförlaget Natur och Kultur, 1979-01

That one and a dictionary is all you need to get started.

Piotr1981
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5028 days ago

26 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 16 of 16
03 August 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
As for resources, you may have seen http://icelandic.hi.is/ which is a free online course.

I subscribed to icelandic.hi.is some time ago but I didn't get far. The exercises may be good, but I would welcome an option of slowing the recordings down a bit at leaner's will. I suppose they wanted the studentss to get accustomed to a faster pace of speaking from the first lesson, instead of offering them the usual unrealistically slow soundbites but I've never learned any Scandinavian language so it's rather difficult for me. Plus, I really need some downloadable/printable metarials. Do they offer any?

Edited by Piotr1981 on 03 August 2010 at 11:22am

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version