Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5521 days ago

43 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, French, English, German, Polish
Studies: Romanian

Message 9 of 12
01 June 2009 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
It's the ethymology: hiver comes from latin hibernum and hier from latin heri, so that's why there's an "e" and not "ai", like in clair or pair, which come from clarus and par. I don't know why the académiciens never opted to add an accent grave though.
1 person has voted this message useful

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6182 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 12
02 June 2009 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
You just have to remember.

diabolo menthe
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5783 days ago

68 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Swedish, Japanese

Message 11 of 12
11 June 2009 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Meadowmeal wrote:
It's the ethymology: hiver comes from latin hibernum and hier from latin
heri, so that's why there's an "e" and not "ai", like in clair or pair, which come from clarus and
par. I don't know why the académiciens never opted to add an accent grave though.

This is correct. French is an etymological language in its pronunciation, like English. It is for this reason as well that
words like "ville" and "famille" differ in pronunciation. Ville comes from the Latin villa, and famille from the
Latin familia, giving ville its audible L sound, and famille its Y sound.

RBenham
Triglot
Groupie
IndonesiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5453 days ago

60 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Indonesian

Message 12 of 12
20 June 2009 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
Well, it's not as simple as that. Apparently, the French stopped pronouncing those rs altogether for a while, but some of them came back under the influence of the spelling, whereas the pronunciation of some words without the r (including all infinitives in -er) was too well-established.

In the case of -ll- generally the presence or absence of an i in the Latin etymon is a very good guide, but there is no rule for the -er ending that I'm aware of other than that all infinitives in -er are pronounced like , and maybe occupations like boucher and pâtissier as well (which is to say I can't think of any that don't behave this way), and adjectives in -ier like forestier? I can't think of any monosyllables that behave this way, but that may say more about my memory than about French pronunciation.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version