Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 149
30 May 2009 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
You can now watch my You Tube interview about language learning and polyglottery. It is spoken in 4 languages (English - Deutsch - Nederlands - Esperanto).

Date of recording: 30 May 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSwvQwz78ms

It was great fun to prepare the interview and do the recording. My Dutch friend interviewed me and was my technical team manager.

Fasulye

Edited by administrator on 18 September 2009 at 11:06pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 2 of 149
31 May 2009 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
Dutch! Wow! To me you sounded just like a native Dutch person...

I had never heard spoken Esperanto and it was great to be able to hear it for the first time! I could understand quite a lot of what you were saying just from knowing bits of other languages. I really like Esperanto and it's such a pity we can't use it as a language for everyone to communicate in across the EU. It's really genius.

Thanks for posting the video it was great to watch!

EDIT: I have a question actually - I wonder if you could explain a bit about how and when you decided to learn Esperanto. (I think you touched the subject in the video but didn't go into detail. What motivated you to learn this, and why should somebody consider learning it?)   What's the situation with accents in Esperanto? You and the interviewer had different "accents" I think?!

Edited by cordelia0507 on 31 May 2009 at 5:16pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

paparaciii
Diglot
Latvia
Joined 6117 days ago

204 posts - 223 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian
Studies: English

Message 3 of 149
31 May 2009 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
I really like Esperanto and it's such a pity we can't use it as a language for everyone to communicate in across the EU.
We have English already.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5815 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 4 of 149
31 May 2009 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
I had never heard spoken Esperanto and it was great to be able to hear it for the first time! I could understand quite a lot of what you were saying just from knowing bits of other languages. I really like Esperanto and it's such a pity we can't use it as a language for everyone to communicate in across the EU. It's really genius.

I'm glad we don't. People in China would think we're a bunch of weirdos ^_^.

Edited by Sennin on 31 May 2009 at 3:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Seljak
Triglot
United States
Joined 5490 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Serbo-Croatian

Message 5 of 149
31 May 2009 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Way to go, Fasulye! Enjoyed your recording very much.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 149
31 May 2009 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your supportive comments on my first video recording, Cordelia and Seljak!

Cordelia, you have some interesting questions on my learning of Esperanto, I will file them away for my next You Tube video. We both are very enthousiast about the project and we think about recording a second multilingual video in August/September. What I still don't know is, whether a friend of mine who speaks Italian and French fluently, is willing to inteview me in Italian and French.

I've given the You Tube link also to family, friends and penfriends. I have foreign penfriends with whom I have been corresponding for more than 10 years and I have never met them, so on such a video they see and hear me for the first time and as it seems they very much appreciate this.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 01 June 2009 at 8:16pm

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6217 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 149
31 May 2009 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye, thank you very much for the video. I really enjoyed it thoroughly, although I couldn't make out much of Esperanto and Dutch sections. However, it was rather suprising to find that I could understand some words in Dutch without having ever studied the language.

Oh.. and I could understand your German parts quite well.. :) I guess that's a milestone for me.. XD

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 149
01 June 2009 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
Fasulye, thank you very much for the video. I really enjoyed it thoroughly, although I couldn't make out much of Esperanto and Dutch sections. However, it was rather suprising to find that I could understand some words in Dutch without having ever studied the language.

Oh.. and I could understand your German parts quite well.. :) I guess that's a milestone for me.. XD

That's excellent that you could understand my native German. It shows that you are able to understand the authentic language. Some Dutch words are very similar to German because both languages are very closely related. People with a previous knowledge of German will have an advantage to learn Dutch.

I am planning to record a second video in August/September, I see that it will be useful to include some German in it.

Fasulye

This discussion contains 149 messages over 19 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version