Joined 5634 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 113 of 149
25 September 2010 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Two new You Tube videos will be uploaded this Saturday evening!

See my previous post here in this thread, I will post the links there.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 25 September 2010 at 2:38pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5634 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 114 of 149
18 February 2011 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
WHY IS THERE A PAUSE IN MY VIDEO-PRODUCTION?

My problem right now is that I have an idea but not a concept. And I can't make videos without having a clear concept in advance.

My idea is that I want to present my foreign language cooking. I don't only want to have a theoretical talk about cooking, but I want to demonstrate something practical while speaking a foreign language. I am quite slow with manual work, so it seems impossible for me to get something done in 15 You Tube minutes. And all my videos are live recordings, so I am not cutting and pasting anything afterwards. So far I haven't found a solution for this.

Any ideas, what I could do?

I would need too much time for cutting vegetables, but I could prepare the vegetables in advance and then build up a dish, which has to be baked in the oven. Then I can add vegetables after vegetables and other ingredients and give comments about it.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 18 February 2011 at 8:41pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5634 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 116 of 149
18 February 2011 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
Hi Fasulye,

I've a suggestion, but you've wrote it already: you prepare all the things before, for example the vegetables are ready.

It's a good idea to have a prepared and ready version of the meal: our cooking teacher has this in our lessons. She bring it and in the lesson show it (Immediately I mean) therefore you can see the thing which you will prepare, it's nice!

Only professional cooks can cook in high speed, so it's really the clue to have the ingredients prepared in advance, the vegetables cut in a bowl and so on. I would find it boring to show me stirring a soup for example. In a soup you can't see much, but when I prepare a soufflé (= Auflauf) or something similar, I can actively present some ingredients.

Kuikentje, I think your proposal - and I had a similar idea - is the only way to realize a pratical video of language-cooking. For me it's valuable to have a confirmation from somebody else because I have zero experience with me doing practical things in a video.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 18 February 2011 at 10:23pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 117 of 149
18 February 2011 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
And all my videos are live recordings, so I am not cutting and pasting anything afterwards. So far I haven't found a solution for this.

My suggestion is that you start doing some editing after the recording session.

I use Microsoft Movie Maker to edit my own videos. I don't remember whether it already was on my PC (Windows XP) when I bought it or whether I just downloaded the program, but it is very practical - except that I'm tempted to look at the tiny box with myself speaking all the time. However you don't have to make the recording from within the program, you can import most normal film- and picture formats and do your editing, which includes stitching snippets of film and cutting out superfluous passages.

Edited by Iversen on 18 February 2011 at 10:44pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5634 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 118 of 149
19 February 2011 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
I have "Windows Movie Maker" as a program, but it looks complicated and I don't want to spend hours working on my video before I can upload it, because already uploading a video costs me 3-4 hours time depending on the length of the video.

Fasulye

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 119 of 149
19 February 2011 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
It is not complicated, and your upload time will be the same per minut, but maybe for a shorter video.

First you make a new project under 'Filer' (sorry, I can't refer to the German names on your computer so I'll use the Danish ones (!))

Then you save it, which makes someting like an empty shell for all the content. Later you can resave by pressing CTRL S

Then you choose "henter fra videoenhed" (the first menu item to the left). This should activate your webcam, including the sound. Clap your hands or speak to check that the sound input level shoots up. Check also the video settings by pressing the 'configuration' button to the right. I use 640 * 480 which means that every minut of the file on my computer takes 14 mB. With 320 * 240 a minut only takes 3 mB. If necessary you can check your old video files to see what you have used in in the past. The video settings may have to be reset for each new clip you make.

Now press OK, choose a location for your file, and you'll see a window with a start and a stop button, yourself in a player box and a OK + Annull button. The smart thing is that you can start recording, and if you then need to take a break you just press stop and then restart when you and your vegetables are ready. When you want to save the result you press OK.

You can make more than one clip and then stitch them together later. Sometimes the program makes its own breaks, but they can't be seen or heard in the final result. You always see the last clip you recorded, but in case you have made several clips you can 'import' them in the right order.

You can watch the clips using the player, and notice icon nr 2 from the right: it can cut a clip into two, which makes it easier to remove unwanted passages.

To do the main part of the editing you simply drag your clips or parts thereof down to the 'video' row below (press 'vis storyboard' to get separat rows for sound and for titles). Each clip on the videoline can be shortened at the beginning or the end with your mouse, using the small 'hooks' - this is why it can be practical to cut the clips at suitable places. You can 'zoom in and out' on the time scale using the magnifying glasses with + and -.

So will this take hours? No, because you only have to care about the places where you want to cut something out - you can skip everything in between.

Finally: you can insert pictures and make titles or undertitles. To place a picture you first import it, then make two cuts in the clip where you want to insert it. Drag the picture down to the video line, then drag the corresponding segment of video down to the sound line and pull the length of the picture element out so that it corresponds to the video segment you moved - then your voice from the recording can be heard underneath the picture. This can be useful when showing the receipts!

I haven't used titles yet, so for that you have to read the onscreen help or ask somebody else.

Finally you press 'Gem pÄ computeren' in the menu to the left, choose the best quality available and wait for the result, which is the file you should upload to Youtube.

If you only make one clip, using the start and stop buttons and without any further editing, then this last step is not necessary - the clip itself is a WMV file that can be uploaded. But personally I always want to do some editing. My video about books originally lasted 22 minutes, and I cut it down to slightly less than 15 minutes.

Edited by Iversen on 19 February 2011 at 1:33pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 149 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version