5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 57 of 149
18 September 2009 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
Just got to watch your videos for the first time, and I'm very impressed. I knew you had writing fluency, but watching you speak has really proven your abilities. Congratulations.

Making videos is a good way to prove speaking abilties. Behind my language abilties there's a lifetime's study. I started learning languages early and continued using them all my life long.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 18 September 2009 at 11:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Matteo
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 5362 days ago

88 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: ItalianB1, German

Message 58 of 149
01 October 2009 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Congratulations. Being a German native-speaker, we all know that is hard to learn a romance language. And you speak Italian and Spanish very well (italian better).
French i dont know.. because i dont understand it... hehe
Nice work, I will follow your channel on you tube.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5629 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 149
01 October 2009 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
Matteo wrote:
Congratulations. Being a German native-speaker, we all know that is hard to learn a romance language. And you speak Italian and Spanish very well (italian better).
French i dont know.. because i dont understand it... hehe
Nice work, I will follow your channel on you tube.

Yes, my Italian is better because every two weeks I have an Italian conversation meeting with a German friend. I had this for French and Spanish as well, but that friendship broke up, so I don't speak any French and Spanish in my private life.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 01 October 2009 at 7:57am

m32amir
Heptaglot
Groupie
Canada
youtube.com/user/m32Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5432 days ago

53 posts - 184 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, English, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Turkish, Mandarin

Message 60 of 149
02 October 2009 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
POLYGLOT SKYPING (SKYPE)

It turned out to be quite long call covering various topics and speaking (both of us) fluently in 5 languages. I must say, it's fun, moving from one language to another speaking with the same person and it can be a very effective language practice.

We decided to continue this polyglot skyping. One of those 5 languages was Spanish and I (having not spoken Spanish for several years!) discovered that my Spanish came out fluently so I was very surprised about myself. We both weren't native speakers of this language but I felt as if I were speaking to a native speaker.

Fasulye

Fasulye! Thank you so much for this post and I'm flattered to know that you consider me as a 5-language speaker! I still think that it can take me about 4-5 years to reach basic fluency in those languages and about 8 months of full immersion to brush everything up.

But now I'm really lucky to find an interesting and encouraging person for improving my German. Thanks again and I'll talk to you tomorrow! ;-)

Edited by m32amir on 02 October 2009 at 9:36am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5629 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 61 of 149
02 October 2009 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
m32amir wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
POLYGLOT SKYPING (SKYPE)

It turned out to be quite long call covering various topics and speaking (both of us) fluently in 5 languages. I must say, it's fun, moving from one language to another speaking with the same person and it can be a very effective language practice.

We decided to continue this polyglot skyping. One of those 5 languages was Spanish and I (having not spoken Spanish for several years!) discovered that my Spanish came out fluently so I was very surprised about myself. We both weren't native speakers of this language but I felt as if I were speaking to a native speaker.

Fasulye

Fasulye! Thank you so much for this post and I'm flattered to know that you consider me as a 5-language speaker! I still think that it can take me about 4-5 years to reach basic fluency in those languages and about 8 month of full immersion to brush everything up.

But now I'm really lucky to find an interesting an encouraging person for improving my German. Thanks again and I'll talk to you tomorrow! ;-)

I am looking forward to our next polyglot skyping!!!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 02 October 2009 at 9:25am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5629 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 62 of 149
04 October 2009 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
POLYGLOT SKYPING NR. 2: The intellegibility of Portuguese and Spanish

I would like to report about this polyglot skyping session of tonight, because I telephoned with Amir and we made a very interesting experiment:

I don't speak any Portuguese, so I let Amir speak Brasilian Portuguese for one hour while I spoke Spanish with him. Amir is fluent in Portuguese (and Spanish) and I could understand nearly 100 % of what he said.

I only listened to his 10 minutes video in Brasilian Portuguese on You Tube and wrote Amir that I could understand it, so we got the idea that we should try out this language combination in practice.

I have never done any Portuguese audio-taining or listened to anything of this language besides this one video, so I can conlude that our experiment proves the similarity and mutual intellegibilty of both languages Portuguese and Spanish.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 05 October 2009 at 8:44pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5614 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 63 of 149
04 October 2009 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
POLYGLOT SKYPING NR. 2: The intellegibility of Portuguese and Spanish

I would like to report about this polyglot skyping session of tonight, because I telephoned with Amir and we made a very interesting experiment:

I don't speak any Portuguese, so I let Amir speak Brasilian Portuguese for one hour while I spoke Spanish with him. Amir is fluent in Portuguese (and Spanish) and I could understand nearly 100 % of what he said.

I only listened to his 10 minutes video in Brasilian Portuguese on You Tube wrote Amir that I could understand it, so we got the idea that we should try out this language combination in practice.

I have never done any Portuguese audio-taining or listened to anything of this language besides this one video, so I can conlude that our experiment proves the similarity and mutual intellegibilty of both languages Portuguese and Spanish.

Fasulye

You might like to try skyping with someone from Portugal and compare the experience. You will probably find European Portuguese less transparent.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5768 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 64 of 149
04 October 2009 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
cordelia0507 wrote:
I had never heard spoken Esperanto and it was great to be able to hear it for the first time! I could understand quite a lot of what you were saying just from knowing bits of other languages. I really like Esperanto and it's such a pity we can't use it as a language for everyone to communicate in across the EU. It's really genius.

I'm glad we don't. People in China would think we're a bunch of weirdos ^_^.

Actually, there's a significant history of people using Esperanto in China. There's a "Chinese Esperanto League", and the ultra-famous novelist Ba Jin was a fluent esperanto speaker and served as vice-president of the league at one point. Although there aren't many speakers there today, there were apparently 400,000 speakers in 1980, and probably many more earlier in the century. When esperanto was introduced to china, it was thought that it would serve as a language that would help chinese workers communicate with the worldwide working class.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 149 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version