5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 65 of 149
04 October 2009 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:

You might like to try skyping with someone from Portugal and compare the experience. You will probably find European Portuguese less transparent.

That's exactly what Amir says that European Portuguese would be less intellegible for me as a foreign language speaker of Spanish. Trying it out with somebody could prove it.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 04 October 2009 at 8:45am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 66 of 149
24 December 2009 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
NEW UPLOADED VIDEOS ON CHRISTMAS

Thursday, 24 December 2009

Today I have uploaded two new videos on You Tube showing my resources for DANISH and TURKISH combined with reading practice of those two target languages of mine.

Here are the links:

DANISH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOak4TuucMo
TURKISH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NreB8ZPG6nk

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 24 December 2009 at 3:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 67 of 149
24 December 2009 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for posting these!

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5903 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 68 of 149
26 December 2009 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Nice work. I can't really comment too much as I don't know either language but I have a few questions on the Danish:

1. How hard is Danish for you? I would imagine that speaking English, Dutch, and German it is very easy?
2. Why did you choose Danish over Swedish or Norwegian? (I want to eventually learn one of the Scandinavian languages at some point...).

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 69 of 149
27 December 2009 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
JW wrote:
Nice work. I can't really comment too much as I don't know either language but I have a few questions on the Danish:

1. How hard is Danish for you? I would imagine that speaking English, Dutch, and German it is very easy?
2. Why did you choose Danish over Swedish or Norwegian? (I want to eventually learn one of the Scandinavian languages at some point...).

These are questions many people have about Danish, so I will be glad to answer them.

1. Yes, with Danish I can triangulate on my three Germanic languages German, Dutch and English. Sure, this is my advantage for vocabulary and grammar. But Danish pronounciation is in some ways special, which makes it difficult for everyone. You write the language differently than you speak it.

Examples for Danish being non-phonetical:

30 = tredive (spoken "tralve")
how = hvad (spoken "wel")

These are extreme examples, not all Danish words differ so much in pronounciation from writing.

But in Danish many letters remain silent, so they are swallowed. In the very beginning I had to get used to this, it occurs much more than for example in South American Spanish.

2. I am a big fan of Scandinavia, so I wanted to learn at least one Scandinavian language anyway. The disadvantage is that nobody speaks such languages in my region Nordrhein-Westfalen. That I chose Danish has to do with my personal situation. I was born in the border region of Schleswig-Holstein/Jutland and Danmark is the nearest Scandinavian country to Germany. So in fact for me it was a geografical choice.

JW, should you want to choose a Scandinavian language to learn, living in Florida your geografical situation is very different from mine. All Scandinavian countries are far away from the USA, so for your choice there will be other criteria, I suppose.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 27 December 2009 at 12:05pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 70 of 149
27 December 2009 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
I have listened to your Danish video, and considering how short time you have had to learn Danish it is excellent. Of course there are pronunciation errors, but I will only suggest a few improvements of some very common words - changing these few words will be felt in many places, so getting them right will have a great impact. Quibbling about rare words is less important at this stage.

"det": the final 't' is always silent.

"med": the final 'd' is either soft or omitted, never hard.

"dig/sig": the vowel is more open.. almost as in English "die/sigh"

"dejlig": again you need to open the vowel more ... and here words with German "..eili" ('eilig' (without the final 'g') would be a good approximation.

Good luck with your Danish.

Edited by Iversen on 27 December 2009 at 10:13pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 71 of 149
28 December 2009 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I have listened to your Danish video, and considering how short time you have had to learn Danish it is excellent. Of course there are pronunciation errors, but I will only suggest a few improvements of some very common words - changing these few words will be felt in many places, so getting them right will have a great impact. Quibbling about rare words is less important at this stage.

"det": the final 't' is always silent.

"med": the final 'd' is either soft or omitted, never hard.

"dig/sig": the vowel is more open.. almost as in English "die/sigh"

"dejlig": again you need to open the vowel more ... and here words with German "..eili" ('eilig' (without the final 'g') would be a good approximation.

Good luck with your Danish.

Your pronounciation analysis is very helpful for me!

For words ending with a "d" I hear an "l", but as you explain it here it's not really a clear "l". It's not so easy for me to pronounce this letter for example in words such as "med", "ved" "hvad". I will concentrate more on listening to the pronounciation of this letter.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 28 December 2009 at 9:55am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 72 of 149
28 December 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
You have a good approximation of the soft Danish d in English "weather" or "with".

It is interesting to hear that you hear this sound as something like an 'l' - it reminds me of the Asians that have problems distinguishing 'r' and 'l' (for instance Thai hotelpersonnel that speak about my "loom").

I'm not a phoneticist, but I would say that 'l' is pronounced either by flattening the tongue in a medial position or touching a point behind the upper front teeth with its tip. Hard 'd' is pronounced with the same point of contact, but rounded tongue - which would be a likely source source of confusion. However soft 'd' is best pronounced by placing the tongue behind the front teeth, touching either the upper or - better - the lower front teeth with the tip.     

PS: how = "hvad" is NOT spoken /wel/, but /va/ or /vað/ (with a flat /a/). "Vel" is a totally different word, that mostly means something like "supposedly".

Edited by Iversen on 28 December 2009 at 10:51am

This discussion contains 149 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version