495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 25 of 30
23 June 2009 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
RBenham wrote:
Katie wrote:
[...]
I will go through months where I'll spend massive amounts of time pouring over my books. [...]

Katie, just what do you pour over your books? Water? Doesn't that ruin them?

Ha ha ha .... no comment...... :P
1 person has voted this message useful

jaujau
United States
kafirtiti.blogspot.cRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5444 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: English*, Japanese

Message 26 of 30
23 June 2009 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad, after reading these comments, that I am not the only messy learner. In fact I have found, thanks to the internet, a whole variety of ways to learn. For example, RAI Radio (Italian) has live streams from all of its 6 different stations, and I can record them to realplayer and make mp3s for listening on my player, or cds to play in my car. Listening to broadcasts is by far my favorite activity. Downloading podcasts is another, but the best, which I discovered through ANKI is smart.fm! So many things there, I can't begin to tell you.
Immediately after highschool, after taking so many years of French and incapable of speaking it, I had to become more eclectic, since I couldn't afford recorded language programs.
I got a cheap but good shortwave radio, I also kept a diary in the languages I studied, and had penpals. I read magazines and papers whenever I could find them, but mostly it was tuning my ear to the sound of naturally spoken language and recognizing the musical qualities of each language.
Doing this not only helped me to speak that language with better pronunciation, but it helped me identify regional dialects. Writing my thoughts in the language also helped me to be able to think all the time in the language.
These are things I wished we'd learned in school. I think edurbation (self education) is the best way to go.

sixbeat
Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5440 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: German, Tagalog*, English, Swedish, Dutch

Message 27 of 30
27 June 2009 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
You're wasting a lot of your time - studying Spanish shouldn't be hard.
Just use Michel Thomas and a dictionary.

However, the most important part is getting a Spanish partner to speak it with - if you don't have one, might as well just waste your time with something else.

Edited by sixbeat on 27 June 2009 at 6:36pm

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6705 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 30
29 June 2009 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Katie wrote:
Quote:
Katie, just what do you pour over your books? Water? Doesn't that ruin them?

Ha ha ha .... no comment...... :P

Good one. I had to check this one out too. I had a feeling "pour" wasn't right and tried looking at "poor" in the dictionary but that doesn't seem to exist as a verb. Eventually the correct spelling turned out to be something else again. Take it as an exercise, or hide and seek if you will (hint: especially hide).

Edited by Hencke on 29 June 2009 at 1:05pm

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6083 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 29 of 30
29 June 2009 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
I am probably a fairly messy learner. It is not as planned out as I think it should be. I am prone to pulling out a pocket dictionary or vocabulary cards at odd moments throughout the day. The cumulative effect is substantial, but I wonder how much more progress I would make if I was more methodical?

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 30 of 30
29 June 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
The cumulative effect is substantial, but I wonder how much more progress I would make if I was more methodical?

Well, there's being methodical and then there's being inflexible. What you're doing now appears to be working for you, but you probably don't really know what you're actually doing.*

In making a methodical plan, you would be consciously setting a routine. If you set out a routine without knowing clearly what works and what doesn't, you might just set out an inefficient or even ineffective routine.

* Please don't take this personally in any way. It is almost universally true that people who are good at doing something don't really understand what they're doing, which is why most people can't teach. Maybe there was a guy in your high school class who was a demon on the guitar, but when he tried to teach someone else how to play he failed. Many successful athletes have tried to consciously improve their performance, but have gotten worse when they tried to improve their training routines -- they didn't know what part of their existing routine was really successful, so they couldn't incorporate it into their routine.

So the advantage of "messy" learning is it allows the brain to find a (more or less) efficient method subconsciously, neatly avoiding the limits of the learner's (or even teacher's) conscious knowledge.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version