Croatia
ivanabencic.com
Joined 5424 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, Serbian, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 41 of 54
17 June 2009 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
I`m Croatian and I have difficulties understanding Istrian dialect (Istria is of course a part of Croatia).
Also, dialect that is spoken on some Croatian islands, like Brac or Hvar, are also a mistery to me. Not all the words are different, thought.

For example:
Croatian by the book: "Ja sam lud" (meaning "I`m crazy")
Croatian from Hvar: "Jo son lud"

Edited by Ivana_B on 17 June 2009 at 3:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

lifekiwi
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5482 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Portuguese
Studies: Russian

Message 42 of 54
17 June 2009 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Native English: I can understand all of North American, Irish, Australian, New Zealand, and South African English. I can understand Scottish English but I have trouble with Scots sometimes. Some dialects of English from England are incomprehensible to me, especially when spoken by young people. I'm fine with London accents and most of the south though (my dad is from Bournemouth).

French: I actually find the Parisian accent quite hard to understand, at least on some of the tapes we listen to. I can understand Québec French outside of regional vocab/slang.

I'm not proficient enough in Russian to distinguish between accents/dialects.

AntoniusBlock
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5708 days ago

31 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 43 of 54
17 June 2009 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
Yes, exactly. And thanks for clarifying the official English name of this dialect.

I have previously seen samples of Elfdalian, with voice recordings and a complete written analysis of what was actually being said, and my spontaneous impression was that it is at least as far removed from standard Swedish as German, if not further.

IMHO, based on linguistic grounds, it fully deserves to be classified as a separate language.

It's not merely a matter of a funny pronunciation and differences in a number of vocabulary items. There are ancient verb forms and many other grammar features that are different too.

Yes. The reasons that Elfdalian has never been declared an official minority language have very little to do with linguistics. It has rather more to do with the age-old can of worms known as politics, nationalism and money. Still, it seems that Elfdalian is now at least getting more and more attention from linguists from various parts of the Nordic region, which may help sway the politicians.

Here is an interesting article about some of the present efforts to chart the language further. It contains a couple of written examples with translations that illustrate some rather interesting grammar structures. It also mentions that Elfdalian is a bit like a cross-over between Swedish and Icelandic, which seems like a very reasonable way of putting it, since Icelandic, Faroese and Elfdalian are the three living languages that are the closest to Old Norse. Apparently, Elfdalian was not even a part of Old Swedish but was born right out of Old Norse around 1200-1300, and has been more or less separate from Swedish up until very recently.

Hencke wrote:
Incidentally, did you know that there are isolated areas in Ostrobothnia ** in Finland with dialects almost identical to Elfdalian, that have also managed to survive over the centuries.

Indeed. The vernaculars of Närpes etc can be quite unintelligible and archaic at times. They are also not very well known in Sweden. High Swedish is pretty much the only type of Finland Swedish you get to hear in Swedish media unless they are reporting on dialects or some such.

Hencke wrote:

In fact, I have personally spoken to someone from one of these areas (Närpes) who went to the Älvdalen area in Dalcarlia with a couple of others from his own village and when they started speaking in dialect the locals would simply not believe they were from Finland. They were accused of being from a neighboring village instead.

Lol...

I have actually been wondering whether they are mutually intelligible or not. Thanks very much for that info.

Hencke wrote:
If the official language status is achieved, you can probably throw in Närpes and some of the surrounding areas, perhaps doubling the number of speakers of this "new" language (though I have no idea how many they actually are).

Indeed. There are also a few other archaic Dalcarlian vernaculars such as Orsamål that should perhaps be counted in as well.

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5623 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 44 of 54
17 June 2009 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Hi Ivana and other Balkans - What's the situation with Serbian; can you understand it completely? The whole Yugoslavian (ex) language situation is really confusing!

In the past I could swear there was ONE language called Serbocroatian (remember it simply because it's such a long and complicated name for a language)

But now the language is split into two! Has something changed in the actual languge, or is it just a recognition of the countries being split?

Is it true that there is a Belgrade newspaper that prints in cyrillic and latin letters on alternating days? I heard this funny story many years ago and it stuck on my mind.
Why would they do that when it's surely a lot of extra trouble? Do people have different preferences, or why?

(absolutely not trying to stir anything up here, I am simply interested in the language aspect, if this is sensitive ignore it and I'll delete it)

Edited by cordelia0507 on 17 June 2009 at 10:41pm

Ivana_B
Triglot
Croatia
ivanabencic.com
Joined 5424 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes

Message 45 of 54
17 June 2009 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Hi cordelia0507.

Yes, Serbian I understand and speak perfectly.
Ex-Yugoslavia had three official languages: Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian and Slovenian.
Serbo-Croatian was one because they are practically the same. I guess 95 % of the words are completely the same or different in one letter. Accent is different but irrelevantly.

Nothing actually changed, only now each country has it`s own languag. Croats still speak Croatian and Serbs still speak Serbian. Some Croats use Serbian words also on daily basis, especially the ones close to the Serbian border.
Bosnians have Bosnian, people from Monte Negro have Montenegran (it`s new, I don`t even know how it is called :D) and they also speak Hungarian. On Kosovo they speak Albanian.

Croats on the coast also speak Italian but I know nothing of Italian.

I`m not sure about this newspaper in Belgrade but cyrillic lettering is totally normal in Serbia just as latinic.

I have difficulties understand Slovenian and I can`t speak it at all.
Macedonian is a total mistery to me - there are some similar words but completely different than anything I know.

Nothing sensitive, don`t worry :)

Edited by Ivana_B on 17 June 2009 at 11:13pm

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5623 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 46 of 54
17 June 2009 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for explaining!

I wonder what will happen when all of these countries join the EU?

The language situation is already quite insane and it sounds like it won't get any better when you guys join! (hopefully soon)

Ivana_B
Triglot
Croatia
ivanabencic.com
Joined 5424 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes

Message 47 of 54
18 June 2009 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
I don`t think joining in the EU will change anything in with the languages, but you never know ;)

janalisa
Triglot
France
janafadness.com/blog
Joined 6675 days ago

284 posts - 466 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese
Studies: Russian, Norwegian

Message 48 of 54
20 June 2009 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
In English, I have trouble understanding thick Irish and Scottish accents. I remember once watching an Irish movie and understanding only about half of the dialogue. @@;

In Japanese, the dialects of Tohoku and Kyushu are almost incomprehensible to non-locals, and Okinawan is practically a different language. The Kansai dialect is widely understood, though, thanks to the many comedians and other stars speaking it on television.

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version