William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6050 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 17 of 54
03 June 2009 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
I read somewhere that Polish teachers sent to the area where Kashubian is spoken were issued (or encouraged to buy) a special Kashubian-Polish dictionary, because of the difficulties Kashubian presents to Polish speakers. It probably is not just a Polish dialect, but a separate language.
My German is pretty good, but I have often found High German dialects incomprehensible, especially Austrian ones.   
1 person has voted this message useful

Marlowe
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5490 days ago

24 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, German

Message 18 of 54
03 June 2009 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
In Spanish, I find the Argentinian dialect a bit challenging.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6214 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 54
03 June 2009 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Korean: Jeju dialect is almost a different language. Besides, even when it comes to other, less divergent dialects you can't catch some of the dialect-specific vocabulary.

English: Strong Scottish dialect, and some of the American ones make me wonder whether they truly are only DIALECTS of English.

Logain
Norway
Joined 5430 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*

Message 20 of 54
04 June 2009 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
I believe Norwegian to have some of the biggest varieties in dialects that I can think of. For example when I'm speaking to my grandfather who lives in Ytre Sogn (outer Sogn), I can understand just about half of what he's saying. And he's got a mild dialect compared to Indre Sogn (inner Sogn) where one must really focus to get what they're saying.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6481 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 54
04 June 2009 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
I have to go to Indre some day... Ordinary bokmål is too easy to understand

Toufik18
Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5522 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (classical)*, French, English

Message 22 of 54
04 June 2009 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
I don't understand the strong native Morrocan Arabic dialect, there are a lot of exclusive vocabulary that I don't understand despite the fact that I am a 100% native Algerian which share frontiers :)

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6687 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 54
05 June 2009 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
I'd love to hear a sample of the Indre Sogn dialect - usually I don't find Norwegian particularly difficult to understand.

yobar
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6810 days ago

52 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: German, Spanish, Irish

Message 24 of 54
05 June 2009 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
I understand Indian English easier than that of the Scots. Sometimes rapid, African-American English can throw me at first. I remember a girl in my Army unit that spoke so rapidly that most of us had to slow her down to comprehend.

I was raised with the German of Prussia. I remember having troubles understanding most of the children with thick accents while traveling in Baden-Wurttemberg and Bavaria. Their odd vowels really confused me. "Urrne" for "eine", for example.

I have mentioned in other posts that the French of Québec really twisted my head. First time I heard it I wasn't sure which language it was.

No problems with any Russian, except when it's heard coming out of a throat mic. Ultimate test of comprehension! I did have a few laughs listening to Soviet soldiers stumble over Neuruppin and Joachimsthal. ;)

I study Ulster Irish and the Gaolainn of Munster can really give me fits. So many differences on a small island!

Edited by yobar on 05 June 2009 at 4:26pm

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version