Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

50 days to learn Spanish *fast*, but how?

Tags: Study Plan | Spanish
 Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
27 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
fairyfountain
Zimbabwe
Joined 5946 days ago

254 posts - 248 votes 
5 sounds

Message 17 of 27
06 June 2009 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
I'm only using courses that I find over the internet right now, and it's working well enough. The only problem is that I have my exams right now, and that my English tutor is not very happy, because I'm doing too much Spanish lol. I'm working fast enough, but I still feel like I should go faster. I'd like to be finished with Spanish 101 already, but if I rush through the courses, I won't memorize anything, so it's no good. I guess I just have to keep working.
1 person has voted this message useful

hypersport
United States
Joined 5699 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 27
06 June 2009 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
50 hrs? What's the point? And why are you trying to memorize stuff?

You said you've messed around with Spanish for 5 years and you already have a passive understanding. Then why do you need a course? Get a good book and start reading, should be plenty. And read out loud so you can develop natural sounding speech which will go a long way if you ever try to use the language with natives.   

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5727 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 19 of 27
06 June 2009 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
As someone else said, try Assimil Spanish With Ease. It'll give you a really good grounding and you won't be asked to memorize anything - they'll teach you in better ways. You could complete the course in 50 days, it might be going a little faster than they expect you to but that's fine. It's a fantastic series of courses, it's definitely what I'd do (and do do) to develop a strong base in a language.

Have fun!

Liz

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5969 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 20 of 27
08 June 2009 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:
try Assimil Spanish With Ease.

I strongly recommend you try this, but make sure you use "Espagnol sans peine". The course was originally designed for French speakers, so the translations should be a lot better. The course is structured to suit French speakers, and introduces the subjunctive early. The lesson on faux amis makes a lot more sense in French than in English.

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6818 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 21 of 27
12 June 2009 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
fairyfountain wrote:
[quote]
I'm downloading the Spanish courses right now, but Michael Thomas tends to make me cringe (there's something about his voice or his teaching method, I swear I can't put my finger on it).
Would Spanishpod be a good alternative?

You are French , then get the French Michel Thomas Spanish. It is played by a natural Spanish speaker with a nice voice and accent based on Michel Thomas recording (well , that's my guess). Worked great with my son.
http://www.harraps-audio.harrap.com/
And I'd advise using Assimil a lot, reading and shadowing the audiotrack, bothe "L'Espagnol" and "Perfectionnement Espagnol". But those 2 won't fit in 50 hours....

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6818 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds

Message 22 of 27
12 June 2009 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
hypersport wrote:
50 hrs? What's the point? And why are you trying to memorize stuff?

You said you've messed around with Spanish for 5 years and you already have a passive understanding. Then why do you need a course? Get a good book and start reading, should be plenty. And read out loud so you can develop natural sounding speech which will go a long way if you ever try to use the language with natives.   

If there were one only book to read, that would be Assimil Spanish and its level 2: at least those are designed to teach you core vocabulary and progressively instill grammar into our neurons.

Edited by zorglub on 12 June 2009 at 9:59am

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6818 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds

Message 23 of 27
12 June 2009 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
fairyfountain wrote:
I want to learn American Spanish anyway, so it's okay :-)
Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can find it!

Don't bother too much abot latino or Spanyard castillan: I started with Latino (Mexican I guess) in Pimsleur, and went further with Assimil, trying to keep the latino pronunciation and rythm, which s not too hard. Assimil's sound track is Spanyard, but very clear. Now there are some idioms that are different, but my Pimslassmil Spanish works everywhere and when not told , they can't guess where I'm from.

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6818 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds

Message 24 of 27
12 June 2009 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
fairyfountain wrote:
I use the pdfs too, but since my ipod displays the text when I press some button (the lil button in the middle of the circle), I don't print out the pdfs or anything.
Even if French courses for Spanish may be faster-paced, I still have my head set on the American ones. It just makes me feel so good to learn a language thanks to English lol.
I've been thinking more and more in English since I started learning Spanish, which is awesome, and I don't want to lose that :-)

I have an (self awarded comment) interesting theory, based on absolutely NO science: when you, a native A speaker and correct X speaker , learn language B through language X, you learn better than through language A. This "is" because the process uses more apropriate circuitry in your brain, and avoids the "translation circuitry", directly associating thought and language.

Of course , this is a petty theory of mine.

But as far as Michel Thomas is concerned, the great advantage of the Spanish fpr French speaker is that the Spanish voice is so much nicer than that of M Thomas (sorry, my taste) and sounds so much more Spanish. Of course Cainntear is gonna tear me.

Edited by zorglub on 12 June 2009 at 10:19am

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version