39 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
^veganboy^
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5699 days ago

51 posts - 51 votes 

Message 1 of 39
05 June 2009 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
After having learned an array of foreign languages to a basic level, I am wondering if somebody here has ever learned a foreign language to fluency and regretted it afterwards due to whatever reasons (political, lack of oportunity to use it, etc...).

If so, how did it go? what language did you learn?
1 person has voted this message useful

miguelsantiago
Diglot
United States
Joined 5460 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 2 of 39
05 June 2009 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
This could be interesting. I wish I had input. I'm pretty decent at Spanish. I wouldn't regret the time I spent learning it in a million years.

But anyway this is a forum about regrets not joys and benefits.

So now I will sit back and watch the replies.

^veganboy^
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5699 days ago

51 posts - 51 votes 

Message 3 of 39
05 June 2009 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
I'd be interested to see somebody who learned a minoroty/not so popular language such as Welsh/Basque/Occitan... I'd like to know what their views are and how they feel now they have reached fluency.

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5457 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 4 of 39
05 June 2009 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
I learned Arabic as a child. It was sort of forced upon me and became a hellish experience I never enjoyed. Long story short, it's a language I try to avoid.

sprachefin
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5526 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 5 of 39
05 June 2009 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
I regret learning English sometimes. I remember going to the Netherlands a few years back and I felt horrible for not learning Dutch. It made it feel like I was in England. I wish I hadn't learned I English so I would have the excuse to learn whatever language I need. English ruins one's fun while traveling from a linguistic perspective.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6936 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 6 of 39
05 June 2009 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
sprachefin wrote:
I regret learning English sometimes. I remember going to the Netherlands a few years back and I felt horrible for not learning Dutch. It made it feel like I was in England. I wish I hadn't learned I English so I would have the excuse to learn whatever language I need. English ruins one's fun while traveling from a linguistic perspective.

It certainly didn't feel that way for me when I was staying at the home of my friend's parents in Slovakia. They couldn't speak English and at that time I couldn't speak Slovak. We got by on three-way conversations involving German, Hungarian and Polish.

Ashley_Victrola
United States
Joined 5486 days ago

416 posts - 429 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Romanian

Message 7 of 39
05 June 2009 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
I think unless it is as a child like in Paskwc, you won't get many who have achieved fluency and regretted it, There are too many chances to turn back. It's like getting a college degree. Maybe you would choose a different major or have done things in a different order or wish that you'd known certain things were available but you are still glad you have it, it still doesn't detract.

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6557 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 39
05 June 2009 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
I wish I hadn't learned Japanese. But once you start, there's no turning back. You just have to keep pushing forward and hope that someday it will be easy.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version