Groupie
Ireland
Joined 6130 days ago

89 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 11
12 June 2009 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
You say you don’t know how to learn a language, well these forums will provide all the information you need to start learning.
I suggest you start reading old threads and using the search function for specific queries.

There is so much information to be gleaned from these forums that I suggest that before you start studying, you do some research here into study methods, language courses and other resources.
This way you could devise your own learning plan.

You are absolutely spot on in saying that “you should learn how to actually learn a language first”, Ive come to the same conclusion myself.
But bearing in mind there are more than one way, you just have to find the way that appeals to you the most.
Barry Farber’s book “How to Learn Any Language” and Bill Handley’s book “Fast Easy Way to Learn a Language” both describe methods for language learning. (Bill Handley is forum member “Fanatic”)
Also have a look in the Polyglot Forum for a thread on The Spivak Method.

You should also definitely take a look at the Language Learning Log forum and see what other people who are learning Italian are doing.

1 person has voted this message useful

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5740 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 10 of 11
13 June 2009 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
It seems to me that memorising sentences more often than not leads to stilted, unnatural language. There's an almost infinitive variety of sentences that can exist in any given language. The more you repeat each sentence (whether by hearing, saying, reading or writing it) the lower the number of distinct sentences you will encounter, and the less well you will know the language.

I have to agree. The more you break a language down, the easier it is to understand, and the easier it is to make your own sentences.

I notice that people who speak their studied languages well do not translate. They work within the limits of their learned language as oppose to thinking of what they want to say in English then trying to say it in another language.

People harp on about thinking in the language you are learning. What they really mean is working within the limits of what you know in that language. As soon as you go outside those limits you start to sound unnatural. Less is more.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5828 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 11 of 11
15 June 2009 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
TheBiscuit wrote:
I notice that people who speak their studied languages well do not translate. They work within the limits of their learned language as oppose to thinking of what they want to say in English then trying to say it in another language.

True, but you have to push those limits to increase your language. How to do that's a completely different matter, and I wouldn't say that translating's necessarily a bad thing, as long as you only do it for a little bit at a time -- don't overload yourself with new language.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version