United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5638 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 1 of 8
13 June 2009 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Myself and a friend with whom I took Japanese 1 and 2 at High school (using Genki 1) are going to be doing self-
study this summer with an emphasis on increasing speed of reading, learning new kanji and vocabulary, and
going through some new grammar. At the start of next school year we'll be auditing a Japanese class at the
local University using Genki 2. At first, our plan was to buy Genki 2 and start working through it right now, but
instead we're thinking maybe we should do something else, so there will be as little overlap with the class as
possible (best use of time and all that). We're thinking of relying heavily on Tae Kim's grammar and other free
online resources, but we're not averse to buying a few textbooks if they're worth it.

So my question is this: For someone who's worked through Genki 1 quite thoroughly and learned a bit on the
side, what textbooks/other resources are best? If we get Pimsleur, how much will be just repeating what we've
already learned? Is it better to get Makino and Tsutsui's Dictionary of Basic Grammar, or should we just use Tae
Kim's?

Also, in a year or two we'll both be going to the University of Pittsburgh, where they use Japanese: The Spoken
Language and Japanese: The Written Language as their textbooks, and I've read mixed reviews on those. Now, I
hope I'll be good enough by then to skip the lower-level classes, but if not, I will have to use these books. I
want to get a good idea of what material they cover. Is it worth getting them?
1 person has voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5638 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 2 of 8
16 June 2009 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
Hi chyaddo, thanks for the reply! I hadn't heard of SpaceALC before, I will definitely check it out. I do already use
Rikaichan, it's wonderful. I've tried a couple of Japanese podcasts, and I can't remember, but I think I disliked
JapanesePod101 because of the fake-ness of the host.... it really annoyed me. I like "Learn Japanese with Beb and
Alex" but they usually only go over one or two words per episode, so it's really only a nice add-on to an otherwise
complete curriculum. For an SRS, I currently use Mnemosyne, which is nice, and I've seen conflicting arguments as
to whether Anki is better or not so I haven't made up my mind about trying it.

Thanks for the advice about Genki II, I think that's what we'll end up going with.

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6887 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 3 of 8
17 June 2009 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Luai_lashire wrote:
I've tried a couple of Japanese podcasts, and I can't remember, but I think I disliked JapanesePod101 because of the fake-ness of the host.... it really annoyed me. I like "Learn Japanese with Beb and Alex"

I personally prefer JapanesePod101. Ironically, I found the Beb and Alex podcast a little fake due to him trying too hard to be a comedian - it's all personal preference :)

There are quite a few podcasts out there are you'll find one you like over the others - they're really useful to study when you don't feel like studying.

Edited by andee on 17 June 2009 at 3:24am

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5638 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 5 of 8
17 June 2009 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
turaisiawase wrote:

By the way, you don't have to listen to Peter Galante, you can just download the dialogues and the transcripts.

Really? That's excellent, I'll try it. Thanks. :)
And thanks for the link as well, I like dictionaries with extra information.

pfwillard
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5509 days ago

169 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 8
24 June 2009 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Not exactly what you were asking for but you might look at this book/dvd:

Living Japanese: Diversity in Language and Lifestyles (Conversations with Native Speakers)
by Karen Colligan-Taylor

It's more for listening comprehension when you want a break from cramming the kanji.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5638 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 7 of 8
25 June 2009 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
pfwillard wrote:
Not exactly what you were asking for but you might look at this book/dvd:

Living Japanese: Diversity in Language and Lifestyles (Conversations with Native Speakers)
by Karen Colligan-Taylor

It's more for listening comprehension when you want a break from cramming the kanji.

:) Thanks, I'll check it out. Hopefully the local University library has it.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6126 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 8 of 8
26 June 2009 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
Luai_lashire wrote:
For an SRS, I currently use Mnemosyne, which is nice, and I've seen conflicting arguments as
to whether Anki is better or not so I haven't made up my mind about trying it.

Anki has the advantage that you can also sync your deck online, so it works as a kind of backup if your computer crashes, but also makes your study options a little more portable than is the case with Mnemosyne.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version