Groupie
United States
Joined 5493 days ago

76 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 1 of 4
13 June 2009 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
In German, how do you know when you have to use zu with the infinitive of a verb? I mean, some verbs don't need it, but some like tun do?
1 person has voted this message useful

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5733 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 2 of 4
13 June 2009 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
From another learner's point of view I find it helpful to separate clauses in German to know when to use it. So you want to say something like, 'I don't have time to see it today'. Separate them into I don't have time - Ich habe nicht die zeit and to see it today - es heute zu tun then put them together - Ich habe nicht die zeit es heute zu tun.

It kind of implies in order to where you wouldn't say it in English (for me).

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5576 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 3 of 4
14 June 2009 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
TheBiscuit's method of working out when to use "zu" with an infinitive is the best way I can think of working it out. This is one of the few parts of German grammar I find difficult to explain because I worked it out by making loads of mistakes and it eventually clicked after a bit of practice.

Perhaps it would be helpful if I wrote some sentences which need "zu" in them. Notice the comma in between the two parts of the sentence - this is what TheBiscuit means by separating the two parts out.

Ich habe keine Zeit, meinem Bruder bei seinen Hausaufgaben zu helfen.

Ich habe keine Lust, mich auf meine Prüfungen vorzubereiten.

Mein Bruder hat sich entschieden, ins Kino zu gehen.

Meine Eltern haben sich geweigert, mir mein Taschengeld zu geben.

Weil mein kleiner Halbbruder sich jede Nacht weigert, sich die Zähne zu putzen, muss er eine Stunde früher ins Bett gehen.

I'm sorry that I can't actually provide an explanation as to why you need "zu" in these sentences, but hopefully the examples will help you get a feel for when it's needed. Eventually, it will start to look and sound wrong if you omit it where it's necessary.

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 14 June 2009 at 2:33am

AvidLearner
Hexaglot
Germany
Joined 5689 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, Russian, Portuguese, Spanish

Message 4 of 4
14 June 2009 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
Most of the examples above are covered by the page "Infinitivkonstruktionen" (see: http://www.canoo.net/services/OnlineGrammar/Satz/Komplex/For m/Infinitiv.html).

Let us have a look at at modal verbs. Quite often, English and German are similar when it comes to using "to" and "zu".

E: I can/should/must swim.
D: Ich kann/sollte/muss schwimmen.

E: You don't need to search any longer.
D: Du brauchst nicht weiter zu suchen.

However, sometimes English and German differ:
E: I ought to/want to/am allowed to/would like to swim.
D: Ich soll/will/darf/möchte schwimmen.

There is indeed a simple rule regarding the "true" modal verbs of the German language (see: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modalverb), i.e.
    * müssen,
    * können, dürfen
    * wollen, sollen
    * mögen.
Those verbs are never followed by "zu + Infinitiv" (at least directly, e.g. "Ich mag es, zu singen" is correct). Otherwise, the usage of "zu" seems to prevail.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version