Groupie
United Kingdom
learnxlanguage.com/
Joined 5612 days ago

89 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 9
13 June 2009 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Why am I finding it close to impossible to find foreign print newspapers in the UK? In paper format!

I really want to have a good regular Spanish newspaper like el Mundo or el Pais but I can't find anywhere that can do subscriptions or even sell one offs.

Everything seems to say you need to live in Central London. You'd think I was asking for illegal firearms or bomb equipment. All I want is a Spanish newspaper!! I thought Britain was meant to be multicultural!!

Can anyone help?

(P.S. Internet/digital editions are not what I'm after. I like paper!)
1 person has voted this message useful

readical
Germany
Joined 5548 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: German*

Message 2 of 9
14 June 2009 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
The German branch of amazon sells subscriptions for foreign newspapers, including El Mundo or El Pais. Maybe amazon.co.uk offers something similar?

Ashiro
Groupie
United Kingdom
learnxlanguage.com/
Joined 5612 days ago

89 posts - 101 votes 

Message 3 of 9
14 June 2009 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Nope. No such luck. :(

44 views and one reply? Surely someone must know how I can get Spanish papers in the UK?

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5576 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 9
14 June 2009 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
In Germany/France you have to go to the bookstores in train stations in bigger cities/cities with a lot of tourists, maybe it's similar in the UK?
Or try websites like this one (I googled for spanish books uk assuming that it's most likely to get subscriptions to newspapers in shops that are specialized in Spanish literature)

Edited by Bao on 14 June 2009 at 4:20pm

Ashiro
Groupie
United Kingdom
learnxlanguage.com/
Joined 5612 days ago

89 posts - 101 votes 

Message 5 of 9
14 June 2009 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
£619 for el pais!!!! Holy hell!!

I've found the subscription page for abc.es. They have a selection of subs options so I'm gonna go for the quarterly 44euros.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6082 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 6 of 9
19 June 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Britain is not as multi-cultural as you might think. I find foreign-language press easy to access, but I live in London. Just as Paris is not like the rest of France, London is not like the rest of the UK.

readical
Germany
Joined 5548 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: German*

Message 7 of 9
20 June 2009 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
I live in a city of 200 000 something inhabitants in Germany and have access to Russian, French and Turkish newspapers and magazines (haven't checked for Spanish ones yet). The local library also offers a collection of daily newspapers in foreign languages, as well as the book shop/newspaper agent in the train station - as Bao mentioned.

gogglehead
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 5885 days ago

248 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 8 of 9
20 June 2009 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
May I ask in what part of the UK you live in? I seem to remember that the bookshop Borders carried, in the news section, the main European foreign language papers (El Pais. Le Monde etc), as well as several magazines printed in Spanish (Hola, Gente etc).
That particular store was located in Lancashire, but I am sure most cities must have one.

Their online store however, does not seem to show the news, so maybe give them a call and see if you can sort something out?

G

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version