Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Methods for using Remembering the Kanji?

Tags: Kanji
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
ALS
United States
Joined 5582 days ago

104 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Finnish, Russian

Message 1 of 6
14 June 2009 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
I've been using Heisig's Remembering the Kanji for a few days and I've had decent luck. I plug all the kanji I learn into Anki (an SRS) and review only in the direction of key word->kanji. However, after hitting 300 or so, this became much more difficult. My percentage of correct kanji went down drastically and I'm not sure why. I just suddenly had a very difficult time remembering kanji, especially when similar ones are grouped together. This feels like a rather massive flaw in the Heisig system leading to a lot of easily confused kanji. I don't think it'd get much better either when Heisig no longer provides mnemonics for you a bit further down the line.

What are some of the ways that people have used RTK successfully? Was I maybe going too fast at 30+ kanji a day? I very much want to finish the system and get a big head start on learning Japanese but it's extremely frustrating and not fun or rewarding at all.
1 person has voted this message useful

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6628 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 3 of 6
14 June 2009 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
Quote:
This feels like a rather massive flaw in the Heisig system leading to a lot of easily confused kanji.

Sorry to be blunt, but one person having some trouble in the beginning stages does not equate to a "massive flaw" in the system.

Make sure you're taking enough time to allow the story to really sink in. Reading it briefly may work that day, or even after a few days, but not later when you have to remember it and haven't seen it in a week (or 6 months). Read all the tips and tricks that Heisig mentions and apply them.

Another thing that I found immensely useful is the "One Kanji, One Picture" thread at Reviewing the Kanji Forums. You can embed the picture into the "Story" field in the RTK Anki deck, assuming you're using the one that comes with Anki (or at least used to). If you don't have that deck you can download it easily from within Anki.

ALS
United States
Joined 5582 days ago

104 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Finnish, Russian

Message 4 of 6
14 June 2009 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
OneEye wrote:
Sorry to be blunt, but one person having some trouble in the beginning stages does not equate to a "massive flaw" in the system.

I know that, it just seems like the risk of confusion when placing many extremely similar kanji together is greater than any benefit from having them grouped like that.

Quote:
Make sure you're taking enough time to allow the story to really sink in. Reading it briefly may work that day, or even after a few days, but not later when you have to remember it and haven't seen it in a week (or 6 months). Read all the tips and tricks that Heisig mentions and apply them.

This was something I had trouble with. Many of the kanji have very abstract stories and were very difficult to picture.

Quote:
Another thing that I found immensely useful is the "One Kanji, One Picture" thread at Reviewing the Kanji Forums. You can embed the picture into the "Story" field in the RTK Anki deck, assuming you're using the one that comes with Anki (or at least used to). If you don't have that deck you can download it easily from within Anki.

Thank you, this is wonderful. Thank God you can just drag and drop the images from your browser right into Anki. :) I was actually using a different deck but it was more or less the same as the one from within Anki's shared decks.

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6628 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 5 of 6
14 June 2009 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Another thing that helps if to remember that it's OK to toss out Heisig's story completely in favor of one you make up yourself, if that helps you remember it better. You aren't studying etymology here (they aren't real etymologies anyway), so whatever works to get you to remember them is fair play.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version