22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4058 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 17 of 22
01 March 2014 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
It may be of your interest to note that 2 tomes do not mean that you have to do more to
learn Swedish than other languages; the second volume is of the Advanced level though it
is not advertised as such, according to Prof Arguelles.

Edited by Paco on 01 March 2014 at 3:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Antanas
Tetraglot
Groupie
Lithuania
Joined 4593 days ago

91 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Russian, German
Studies: FrenchB1, Spanish

Message 18 of 22
01 March 2014 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
@1e4e6
I guess that almost all German-based Assimil books are hardbacks. That is the case with Spanish elementary, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish, Modern Greek, Latin. Dutch and Polish, on the other hand, are paperbacks. But they are with ribbons and their covers are bigger than their pages, so they are, so to speak, not as much paperback as the current French-based editions.

I'm not sure if you realize that the book you claim to have ordered is another course (Le suedois) which has nothing to do with the German-based edition. It is far less substantial than the older one (Le suedois sans peine). On the other hand, it provides a little bit more cultural notes. And I would say, there are more Swedish idioms in it than in the earlier edition. But I'm not sure if that is that important for a beginner. I have not had an opportunity to listen to the whole audio of Le suedois, but it seems that the recordings are closer to the standard (Stockholm) pronunciation than those of Le suedois sans peine, where at least two speakers (of eight, I guess) have a very distinct accent (a Scanian male and a female I could not identify). This kind of variety is good on the long run but can be discouraging for someone who is just starting. Actually, I adore that Scanian accent (dialect/language), but, unfortunately, I was not able to find anything like that on Swedish radio.

By the way, there is also a Dutch-based edition of the first volume of Le suedois sans peine. Dutch might be even closer to Swedish than German because it was not affected by the so-called High German Sound Shift. So, you could see, for instance, that Swedish verb "tala" (to speak) has something to do with Dutch noun "taal". "Strax" is both written and has the same meaning in both languages. [EDIT: Oops, it is "straks" in Dutch.] Unfortunately, the second volume was never published. It would have been fun to find out if there is a practically useful "Germanic continuum" from Dutch to Swedish.

Edited by Antanas on 02 March 2014 at 1:28pm

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4071 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 19 of 22
01 March 2014 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Antanas wrote:
@1e4e6
I guess that almost all German-based Assimil books are hardbacks. That is the case with
Spanish elementary, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish, Modern Greek, Latin. Dutch and
Polish, on the other hand, are paperbacks. But they are with ribbons and their covers
are bigger than their pages, so they are, so to speak, not as much paperback as the
current French-based editions.

I'm not sure if you realize that the book you claim to have ordered is another course
(Le suedois) which has nothing to do with the German-based edition. It is far less
substantial than the older one (Le suedois sans peine). On the other hand, it provides
a little bit more cultural notes. And I would say, there are more Swedish idioms in it
than in the earlier edition. But I'm not sure if that is that important for a beginner.
I have not had an opportunity to listen to the whole audio of Le suedois, but it seems
that the recordings are closer to the standard (Stockholm) pronunciation than those of
Le suedois sans peine, where at least two speakers (of eight, I guess) have a very
distinct accent (a Scanian male and a female I could not identify). This kind of
variety is good on the long run but can be discouraging for someone who is just
starting. Actually, I adore that Scanian accent (dialect/language), but, unfortunately,
I was not able to find anything like that on Swedish radio.

By the way, there is also a Dutch-based edition of the first volume of Le suedois sans
peine. Dutch might be even closer to Swedish than German because it was not affected by
the so-called High German Sound Shift. So, you could see, for instance, that Swedish
verb "tala" (to speak) has something to do with Dutch noun "taal". "Strax" is both
written and has the same meaning in both languages. Unfortunately, the second volume
was never published. It would have been fun to find out if there is a practically
useful "Germanic continuum" from Dutch to Swedish.

But there is no Dutch 2011 version of the one that I ordered, Le Suédois. Since you
have both, are both hardcover? Again, I know about the audio, but it is more about
financial barriers, otherwise I would have purchased it.

Emme wrote:
I share Jeffers and fabriciocarraro’s opinion about the importance of the
audio component in Assimil courses, but I realize that sometimes money can be a
problem.

That’s why I’d like to remind you that there may be a legal free option: try your local
library. Sure, Swedish is not as popular as Spanish or French as a foreign language
that people want to learn, but you can never know what you can find in your library (or
what they can get you through an interlibrary loan) until you check it out. Maybe you
won’t find Assimil, but some other course or textbook which may be useful anyway.

And since I think audio in your target language is never too much, why don’t you take a
look at the linkograpy on language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37553&PN=1&TPN=1">Tea m Asgard’s log?

Lycka till!

I understand and agree that the ideal situation is to purchase botht he book and the
audio tapes, but still the book alone can be used, albeit not the most ideal--as I
said, my 1989 Dutch Assimil with Ease has directions on how to use the book without the
audio cassette tapes, so I infer therefrom that it is plausible. However, from the
Assimil Le Suédois website can one
see that the book alone is 24,90€; the book with audio set sums to 69,90€, which is
approximately three times greater than the book alone. Therefore had I intentions of
using free audio sources such as FSI and some of those links in that Swedish audio
sources link that you have provided. I have used ASsimil Dutch with Ease with no
cassette tapes, and it was good anyway, since I already used other audio sources with
other books/courses, just not the Assimil cassettes. I would wish to purchase the
cassettes for Le Suédois, but unfortunately right now, food, water, and electricity
could use the extra ~45€.

Tack så mycket för linkarna.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 02 March 2014 at 2:38am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 20 of 22
02 March 2014 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
No, the Dutch Assimil of Swedish is the old version (hence also why I went for the free
FSI instead back in the day.)

Antanas
Tetraglot
Groupie
Lithuania
Joined 4593 days ago

91 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Russian, German
Studies: FrenchB1, Spanish

Message 21 of 22
02 March 2014 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
But there is no Dutch 2011 version of the one that I ordered, Le Suédois. Since you have both, are both hardcover?

You and Tarvos are both right. There is no Dutch 2011 version. I don't have a copy of Zweeds zonder moeite but I saw one in a bookstore. It is a semi-hardback in the sense I described in the message above. May I ask why is that important?

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4071 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 22 of 22
28 May 2014 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
If anyone has Le Suédois Sans Peine: Tome II, where did you purchase it? I insofar
see no available copies of this title, not that Tome I was easier to find, but I only
have the 2011 version, Le Suédois.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version