Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Is this an effective way to use Assimil?

Tags: Assimil
 Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
Antelope
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5457 days ago

49 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Greek

Message 1 of 4
18 June 2009 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
I don't like the way the actual Assimil course tries to teach for some reason. How about this?

Phase1: Learn to read the entire book in the TL only.

Phase2: Learn to understand the audio of every lesson.

Phase3: Shadow all of the lesson's audio.

Will this be effective?

Cheers!

(Sorry, I'm new to all this)

1 person has voted this message useful

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6339 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 2 of 4
18 June 2009 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
Mmm... I wouldn't recommend that.

I have always learned with Assimil, so I can give you advice, but you must tell me first which language you want to learn and through which (through English, French, or maybe German?).

Have a nice day!
Guido .-

Edited by Guido on 18 June 2009 at 7:30am

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5480 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 4
18 June 2009 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't like to use Assimil in distinct phases the way you describe. Maybe it is just a personal preference.

Anyway, I can tell you how I use Assimil, and I think I heard of others using the same approach. Maybe you might find it useful too:

On the first day, I flick through the book for a few minutes, and then just read lessons 1 and 2 a few times. And then listen to just those two lesson repeatedly on the audio. This is to give me a "feel" for the course before diving in.

The real work begins on day two, when I read lesson 1 to 10. Quite slowly. Then I listen to the audio of those same lessons while reading them again (now at the speed of the audio of course). Finally, I put the book down and "shadow" the audio of those ten lessons.

On the third day, I do exactly the same but with lessons 2 to 11. On the fourth day, lessons 3 to 12, and so on.

That is, the lessons are "staggered" and lessons are dropped one per day, with each lesson being reviewed several times over several days.

This does mean that getting through an Assimil book will take about three months - but my earlier attempts to rush through an Assimil course faster than this proved (for me at least) less effective in the long run.

Edited by Splog on 18 June 2009 at 9:19am

Antelope
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5457 days ago

49 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Greek

Message 4 of 4
18 June 2009 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Guido wrote:
Mmm... I wouldn't recommend that.

I have always learned with Assimil, so I can give you advice, but you must tell me first which language you want to learn and through which (through English, French, or maybe German?).

Have a nice day!
Guido .-

Hi, I'm doing it for Italian through an English base. Any help appreciated.

Splog wrote:
I wouldn't like to use Assimil in distinct phases the way you describe. Maybe it is just a personal preference.

Anyway, I can tell you how I use Assimil, and I think I heard of others using the same approach. Maybe you might find it useful too:

On the first day, I flick through the book for a few minutes, and then just read lessons 1 and 2 a few times. And then listen to just those two lesson repeatedly on the audio. This is to give me a "feel" for the course before diving in.

The real work begins on day two, when I read lesson 1 to 10. Quite slowly. Then I listen to the audio of those same lessons while reading them again (now at the speed of the audio of course). Finally, I put the book down and "shadow" the audio of those ten lessons.

On the third day, I do exactly the same but with lessons 2 to 11. On the fourth day, lessons 3 to 12, and so on.

That is, the lessons are "staggered" and lessons are dropped one per day, with each lesson being reviewed several times over several days.

This does mean that getting through an Assimil book will take about three months - but my earlier attempts to rush through an Assimil course faster than this proved (for me at least) less effective in the long run.

This sounds like a really sound idea. It sounds rather intense, though. I very well may try this. Thanks!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version