Triglot
Finland
Joined 5095 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 105 of 213
04 July 2010 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I have set my Anki to give me 20 new words a day, but it's starting to add up in the reviews. Some days I see "This
time tomorrow there'll be 100 reviews and 20 new words". A little discouraging, although I review twice a day so
there'll be only about half of them left the next day. I've considered changing the amount of new words to 10 or 15,
but haven't done it yet.
1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5651 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 106 of 213
04 July 2010 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Kary wrote:
Right now I have Anki set for fifty new cards daily for each of French, Spanish and German.

However, that is not fifty new words. A given word might have cards for L2->L1, L1->L2, audio->L2, plus one or more grammar exercises

Wow! That is 150 new cards per day, including many complex cards. That is a huge amount, not just for reviewing, but for creating.

How many hours per day does that take? I assume you do much of this in conjunction with your normal reading. But does that leave you with any time and energy to do other reading or listening, etc.?

I add 20 new cards per day with full L2 sentences and, with reviews, that probably takes two hours per day on average. That leaves me time for other L2 activities. Do you focus all your language learning around Anki? You must be learning at a very satisfying rate.

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5229 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Studies: French

Message 107 of 213
04 July 2010 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
About ten per day if I'm lucky (writing them in my notebook), but I'm hoping I pick up more from reading
newspapers etc. :)

Kary
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5934 days ago

85 posts - 113 votes 
Studies: French, Spanish, German

Message 108 of 213
04 July 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
How many hours per day does that take? I assume you do much of this in conjunction with your normal reading. But does that leave you with any time and energy to do other reading or listening, etc.?

I add 20 new cards per day with full L2 sentences and, with reviews, that probably takes two hours per day on average. That leaves me time for other L2 activities. Do you focus all your language learning around Anki? You must be learning at a very satisfying rate.

It's very time consuming and not a rate that I can sustain indefinitely. The good part is that for Spanish, I already have a large set of cards from when I studied previously, that I just imported. The hard part is adding the sound files, which I'm doing a little at a time.

For French and German, I supplement with cards from other sources along with the ones I entered myself, BUT I start with them in suspended state and turn them on a few at a time as I find them useful or after I've edited them to match my criteria. Also, for French, I took one Saturday and did a massive entering of cards from the current chapter of the grammar book I'm studying.

Right now studying with Anki is my core activity, but I also study a French grammar book and have just started the online course at http://deutschkurse.dw-world.de for German. For Spanish, I'll be starting with formal grammar study next week.

As for my progress, the real test will come soon when I add reading authentic material. That's when I'll probably cut back on the input and focus on words I come across in context only.

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5643 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 109 of 213
05 July 2010 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
chirel wrote:
I have set my Anki to give me 20 new words a day, but it's starting to add up in the reviews. Some days I see "This
time tomorrow there'll be 100 reviews and 20 new words". A little discouraging, although I review twice a day so
there'll be only about half of them left the next day. I've considered changing the amount of new words to 10 or 15,
but haven't done it yet.

I routinely have 300-400 words in my queue for my Spanish and Dutch decks. Once in a while I slog through it and get down to zero, only to let it build back up after not studying for a few days.

I recommend anyone who has a smartphone to use Anki on it. It makes the time on the bus fly right by.
2 persons have voted this message useful

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5066 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 110 of 213
05 July 2010 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
chirel wrote:
but haven't done it yet.

Don't sweat it when you have a lot of reviews. It might seem like a lot, but to be honest, the benefit is worth it. The words really do stick after a while, and the intervals eventually get spaced pretty far apart. The heavy workload just comes when you've added a number of new cards. I guess you could control that if you want to, but I'd recommend against that. I think it's better to activate cards you've just added as soon as possible, even if it means spending a little more time reviewing. At this point I'm at 80 new cards per day, which is about my personal limit at this point, but that's barely keeping up with the amount of cards I add to my deck every day through studying. Still, it's whatever approach works for you. We're both trying to do the same thing here: improve vocabulary. Honestly, just do what works for you, and stay confident that you're going to get some good results really soon if you keep up with your studying.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6488 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 111 of 213
05 July 2010 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
I want to know at least 1000 words in Bahasa by mid July, so I have started doing my usual three column wordlists, partly from internet texts with a Google translation, partly from my dictionary and a language guide. Unfortunately both are for Indonesian, while I am supposed to visit Malaysia (and Brunei), but most comments indicate that the two variants are reasonably close.

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5304 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 112 of 213
05 July 2010 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
chirel wrote:
I have set my Anki to give me 20 new words a day, but it's starting to
add up in the reviews. Some days I see "This
time tomorrow there'll be 100 reviews and 20 new words". A little discouraging, although
I review twice a day so
there'll be only about half of them left the next day. I've considered changing the
amount of new words to 10 or 15,
but haven't done it yet.
If you study multiple directions it can be helpful from a
motivation stand point to suspend all but one direction and do them each one at a time.
So rather than see yourself with 100 reviews you'd see yourself with 50 L2→L1, and then
50 L1→L2. You see small easily attainable goals rather than one big one, even if the
total work is the same.

This discussion contains 213 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version