Australia
Joined 4977 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 145 of 213
05 September 2010 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
^Thanks.

How is the method of learning one word per 45seconds but during these 45 seconds thinking about it constantly,
so doing 10-20 words in a row, and then quick review.
Doing different word sets a few times a day, and so totally 60 a day.. This would take 45minutes per day for 60 in
total. Is this a good idea to learn? Would i retain well like this? Could i possible cut down to 30 seconds and so learn
even quicker? Is is 45-60seconds best..

Edited by vexx on 05 September 2010 at 2:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 146 of 213
05 September 2010 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
45 seconds for one word is too much. If you can't remember it after 10 seconds then try to think about something else and return to it while you still remember that there is something you have forgotten. Four or five attempts within 45 seconds is more efficient than repeating a word for 45 seconds in a row.

The exception is of course if you spend 40 seconds out of the 45 on inventing a mnemotechnic joke or on reading about the phenomenon it describes.

Edited by Iversen on 06 September 2010 at 11:59pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

vexx
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4977 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 147 of 213
05 September 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
^ Yeah i get what you are saying, thanks for the reply but i think my question must have been a little vague..
I'm learning to read Latin and so i want to learn the English meaning of some number of Latin words per day, so it's
just the ability to recognise the different forms of that word (if i haven't yet learned this through grammar) and
what it means for ~1500 words after a couple of months.

So what i meant is, i'll have a flash card and read the front with the English word, and then turn it over and it has
the Latin and i repeat over and over the English word while reading it in Latin, so it consolidates and sticks in my
mind, and i do it for 45seconds until the next one for up to 20words in one sitting.
Is this not efficient? I don't really need to know how to write in Latin, just how to read at a high level, and so i want
to obtain heaps of vocab quite quickly.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 148 of 213
07 September 2010 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
Even if you only want to learn the words as passive vocabulary the advice is the same: break up the 45 second time laps so that you can concentrate on recalling instead of just repeating ... or spend the 45 seconds on building associations and other 'memory hooks' that can help you to recall the words.

BellaLuna
Diglot
United States
Joined 4953 days ago

21 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Korean*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 149 of 213
07 September 2010 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
5 to 10 words a day, I use context to memorize. Use about 30 sentences per word, and I absorbed that word
forever, never have to review much.

for an example, word apple
apple is red, apple is hanging, apple on the ground, I have an apple, you want my apple, stay away from my apple,
you like my apple so much, you want to hump my apple, you envy my apple, etc.. sometimes thing doesn't make
sense at all... but it works for me.. i say things like a banana wants to hump my delicious donut... u are laughing but
it works

Edited by BellaLuna on 07 September 2010 at 7:03am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 150 of 213
07 September 2010 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
It certainly works, and it is a good example of the creative use of 'funny associations' for memorization (and a very constructive way of spending 45 seconds). I remember that Fanatic once wrote a splendid post here with more examples of the technique.

If you already know your target language fairly well then it won't be difficult to make the sentences. However for beginners there is an alternative method where you learn 'nonsense-like' words by including them instead of their translation in a sentence in your own language. Bellaluna's examples are meant for learning the word 'apple', but assume that you are Anglophone and want to learn the Spanish word "manzana". Then the sentences would be "manzana is red, manzana is hanging, manzana on the ground,...". This also sounds silly, which for once is a good thing because it is easier to remember something silly than something grey and boring.

Edited by Iversen on 13 September 2010 at 10:04am

4 persons have voted this message useful

BellaLuna
Diglot
United States
Joined 4953 days ago

21 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Korean*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 151 of 213
07 September 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
I just saw your picture, Iverson.... your crazy!!!! They are not pets ><

I just learned a word in Spanish, credit card.

Word: Tarjeta de credito
Example: La tarjeta de crédito está entre en culo.

I didnt have to make any other examples to remember after this sentence lol
It means... the credit card is in between your butt. Lol sorry if i offended anyone ><

Edited by BellaLuna on 07 September 2010 at 9:53pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5715 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 152 of 213
07 September 2010 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
BellaLuna wrote:

apple is red, apple is hanging, apple on the ground, I have an apple, you want my apple, stay away from my apple,
you like my apple so much, you want to hump my apple, you envy my apple, etc..

I am not entirely sure that all of you south of the 49th are interacting with apples in the approved or prescribed manner.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 213 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version