Joined 5907 days ago

206 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Dutch

Message 65 of 213
01 November 2009 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
paisley wrote:
haha, 2! Any more than that and I get lost. Good thing that right now I only have 100-200 words to learn. that's my goal, 2 a day.

What do you mean you have only 100-200 words to learn? Is that your goal and definition of "knowing" the language or something? That's a pretty low goal if you ask me. I would already speak very fluent Italian, Greek, German, Japanese, and Swedish in that case.

sorry ellasevia but i find your reply to be quite pompous. People learn languages differently and at different rates. If someone wants to learn 100-200 words, then that may be their personal goal. We don't all have to try to be perfect in the language.

Edited by polikaru on 01 November 2009 at 7:34pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5901 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 66 of 213
01 November 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
I apologize for my inappropriate comment.
8 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5745 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 67 of 213
01 November 2009 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
I've been very inspired by some of the posts here. This week I've tried to spend several days pushing my limits of new vocabulary learning. I've found that with some effort, I can have several days per week where I learn 100 new German vocabulary words. This includes adding an example sentence for each one into Anki, and reviewing each of them at least once. over the next few days I do several more reviews of each.

Thanks for increasing my expectations :)
Soon I'm going to see if I can squeeze in 200 in a day. :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

polikaru
United Kingdom
Joined 5907 days ago

206 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Dutch

Message 68 of 213
02 November 2009 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
I apologize for my inappropriate comment.

Sorry, I didnt mean to make you feel like you had done wrong. I just wanted to let you know that we all have different attutudes to looking at our learning :)
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5901 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 69 of 213
02 November 2009 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
Soon I'm going to see if I can squeeze in 200 in a day. :)

Wow! That's a lot, I don't think I'd be able to do it. Well, I might, but I'd have forgotten them a couple days later. ;)

I think 50 (or as high as 70) per day is my number.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5745 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 70 of 213
02 November 2009 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
Ya, my average is much lower, but it seems like an interesting personal challenge. I'm also rather fond of memory games, and various exercises to increase my memory abilities. This definitely seems like a great way to exercise my brain.

In the future, I'm considering doing a personal challenge of seeing how much of a language I can learn from scratch in 6 weeks, so this sort of how-many-words-in-a-day question is an important one for me to answer for myself before I go down that road. Therefore, it was VERY interesting to hear that some people actually learn 250 words per day, so I have to try this myself.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5428 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 71 of 213
02 November 2009 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
These high levels of vocabulary acquisition always humble me - since I am sure I learn close to zero words most days, and on better days I seem to half learn a few words and only remember them after coming across them many times. Any attempts at memorizing lists has always failed miserably for me.

But for those with the great ability to learn 200 to 300 words per day, does that mean they could take a book like "501 Spanish Verbs" and absorb the whole book in two days? That would be a tremendous achievement - of which I am mighty jealous.

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6311 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 72 of 213
02 November 2009 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
It's quite possible to learn large number of words in a short period of time and just as easily forget them.

I can (not so easily) get 200-300+ words a day and so can anyone here, if that is your focus. Carry a folded piece of paper, do Iversen's Lists or my reduced version of it (I'm left-handed) but the real stickler is keeping them in mind over the next days.

This requires review. Reviewing sets of 200+ words over several days is huge work. It can be done but needs a lot of focus and many small moments for memory excercises. When I go hiking with a list of words it is possible to take pauses, mentally grab a set of words and then walk, or driving in town (with traffic lights!).

But for me a comfortable level of work (with SRS) remains around 25-50 a day.

100 for several days is exhausting but I'm going to challenge myself like diovende to get 2-3 days of that per week and see how it goes.

My method will be word-sets and sentence but no single words.

This discussion contains 213 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version