RoseNoire
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 6072 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 17 of 25
06 September 2007 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
I would personally not see Copernicus as a Pole - but apart from that a pretty good profile.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 18 of 25
06 September 2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Ehh... I don't doubt that he has German ancestry. He lived in the time of "Drang nach Osten" and Torun/Thorn had citizens of Polish and German ethnicity, even though the city has historically been on Polish territory (apart from the time of the partition of Poland when Torun fell under German/Prussian control). If I remember correctly, his mother was German, while his father was Polish. Then again, ideas of ethnicity in the Middle Ages weren't quite the same then as they are now. Who knows, maybe Copernicus didn't even care about such things as he was preoccupied with astronomy. :-)

On the other hand, it's not wrong to consider him to be Polish any more than it is to consider him to be German. He's both.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 19 of 25
27 February 2011 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
In place of the original section on "Transparency", I have expanded it to mean intelligibility to people who speak a rather closely-related language (i.e. not just learners who speak English).

Over the next few weeks I'll be expanding the sections on transparency in other profiles that I've drawn up. As can be seen in this revised Polish profile, these sections on transparency include comments on intelligibility and a few reliable "shortcuts" or correspondences someone may use to get a slightly better grip on the language in question.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4960 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 20 of 25
09 April 2011 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
If you wanna commit suicide in Poland, go on the middle of a street, and cry out loud:
Copernicus was German! Sklodowska-Curie was French~! Mickiewicz was Lithuanian! and Chopin was French!
You are sure to get killed.

Putting this all aside.

it's all Written OK, but there are also letters like x and q that don't exist in Polish (maybe x is OK, most people write sex with x, but seks is more Polish).

2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4641 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 21 of 25
22 September 2013 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
x and q aren't part of the Polish alphabet, however we DO have some borrowed words that begin with these letters.

Edited by prz_ on 22 September 2013 at 11:38am

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6011 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 22 of 25
22 September 2013 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
x and q aren't part of the Polish alphabet, however we DO have some borrowed words that begin
with these letters.

Hmm... like what, quixotyczny ;-)

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4838 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 23 of 25
22 September 2013 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
You wrote a great post, Chung, but there are some remarques. Infinitive is not a mood, I
think (this is not important at all). "Syntax is usually subject-verb-object" Not syntax
but word order.
"6) All Polish vowels are the same short length like in Belorussian, Bulgarian,
Macedonian, Russian and Ukrainian"
This is nonsense, sorry.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4641 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 24 of 25
22 September 2013 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Like quasi. If it comes to x, it was a rightful letter in the Polish alphabet until the 19th century.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version