Groupie
United States
Joined 5578 days ago

77 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Latin

Message 1 of 2
19 June 2009 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
Why is there sometimes a schwa-like sound at the end of words in some cases, but not in others? For example, in my Assimil, I have heard "cher" pronounced as "sheR" but also with a light schwa sound at the end.

My french teacher last year in high school didn't speak like this, so I'm a bit confused.
1 person has voted this message useful

dmg
Diglot
Canada
dgryski.blogspot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6821 days ago

555 posts - 605 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto

Message 2 of 2
19 June 2009 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
It's more a question of wether or not the 'R' is pronounced vocalized or not, and I think that's just a stylistic/accent/personal choice. However, I'm not a native francophone so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong... (my phonetics textbook is in the other room and I'm lazy...)
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version