Diglot
United States
Joined 5685 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 1 of 10
19 June 2009 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
What does everyone, or anyone, think about dividing up your time studying. For example, through out your day have four thirty minute study sessions rather than studying for two straight hours. The reason for dividing up active study time is because, most of the time, people have a short attention span and it's hard for some to "stay awake" in the active studies. You are still studying for two hours throughout the day but in waves.

I was watching a video by Professor Arguelles, in the video "Shadowing Step by Step", and he gave this suggestion later in the video.
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6082 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 2 of 10
19 June 2009 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
This might be a good idea. Nobody, I think, has a two-hour attention span, and you are very lucky if nothing disturbs you in all that time.

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6528 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 3 of 10
19 June 2009 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Definitely agree with the more frequent, shorter spans. Because of my work situation, it's also easier for me to 2 or 3 30-40 minute time slots instead of 1 block of time.

ptrk7
United States
Joined 6467 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 10
20 June 2009 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
I try to study like that. I also like to wait until later on in the day, I'm usually not
nearly as distracted, and it can soak in while I sleep.

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5685 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 5 of 10
20 June 2009 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
Today was my first time studying like this and I'll have to say, it has helped me a lot. By helped I mean that I didn't loose motivation while studying, I didn't have to sit down for such a long time in order to study, and I retained more. For starters, I did four thirty minute sessions, which added up is double of what I normally study in one day. I'm thinking about doing more sessions.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5479 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 10
20 June 2009 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
My own experience is that a single two hour stretch is indeed possible - but it leaves my brain unable to take further study that day.

Having experimented with this a great deal over the years, I have found that frequent distractions are essential to keeping going. Furthermore, the periods of study shorten and the rest periods lengthen throughout the day.

Here is my own daily schedule of language study that I have found to be optimal (and I use an alarm clock to ensure that I stick to it):

50 minutes of study
10 minutes of distraction
50 minutes of study
10 minutes of distraction
50 minutes of study
60 minutes of distraction
45 minutes of study
30 minutes of distraction
45 minutes of study
45 minutes of distraction
30 minutes of study
60 minutes of distraction
15 minutes of study

If I try to do more than this, unfortunately my brain blocks further absorption of material, and (even worse) this blockage will often leak over into the next day.

Edited by Splog on 20 June 2009 at 11:46am

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5575 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 7 of 10
21 June 2009 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
hmmm.... I know the short and frequent method is supposed to work better, but I spend so long procrastinating after each break that it doesn't leave much time for actual study if I break it up that way. But I guess I'm lucky that I can concentrate for 2 hours, as long as I have cigarettes and coffee to hand.

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6074 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 8 of 10
21 June 2009 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
30 minutes feels a bit short to me(depending on what you're studying I guess). Sometimes you need a more time to 'get into it.'

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version