Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
60 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 8 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 60
24 June 2009 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
hm.. the first sentence in Lizzern's post could either be extremely ironic or a sign that I'm getting too eager to tell others about my ideas. I will think about a way to become less teacherlike without getting totally invisible.

But Lizzern has raised some important and complicated issues. Let me first warn against believing the meanings you guess when you meet a word or an expression of some kind in a genuine text for the first time, - it can be used in an untypical way, or at least in a way that only represents one of its meanings. And the context will often often not be totally unambiguous. To develop a gut feeling for the meaning of that word you have to meet it again and again, and that is true whether or not you use a wordlist for the first contact with the word. So the issue is just whether you will be better equipped to deal with its ambiguities when you have memorized it with at least its core meaning, and my contention is that that this is in fact the case.

The fact that the meanings of a word and of its translation do not correspond in all details is not important when you see it in this perspective. You learn a representative or core meaning, and then you can judge for yourself whether it has this meaning in a concrete context ot not, - if not then you may have to look it up again to find out whether it has other meanings, or whether it has been used in an idiomatic expression (per definition the meaning of idiomatic expression can't be reduced to the meanings of the components). But imagine that this had been your first meetning with the word, - then you would have been in trouble, maybe even without discovering it!

However some words are simply too complicated to be learnt solely from wordlists. They may have a very complicated morphology, they may have several core meanings with lots of derived meanings, or their meaning may be totally diffuse. These behaviours are typical for the most common words in a language, and that's one reason for my recommandation to base your first wordlists on the words you meet in genuine texts. After a few hundred pages in a book, where you have looked up just about everything new, you have probably learnt most of these ubiquitous words. The words you learn after that stage will mostly be of the kind with one or maybe two welldefined core meanings, and when you have learnt those core meanings the rest you need to know about them can be learned by context while reading and listening.

Edited by Iversen on 24 June 2009 at 10:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Recht
Diglot
United States
Joined 5583 days ago

241 posts - 270 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB1

Message 26 of 60
24 June 2009 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
I find that to have any deep understanding, I need a dictionary translation to help me
out. There is just no way I'm going to discover the small difference between "exactly"
and "precisely" on my own.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5548 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 27 of 60
24 June 2009 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Iversen, for me words take on shape ... like when you put a coin under a piece of paper and move a pencil over the paper, so that with every stroke you can see more of the picture on the coin.

It doesn't matter if I see a word first in a dictionary or in a text; I still will need more of those strokes to make it visible to me.

Recht: Do a google search on both. Take note of the way either word is used in the first hundred search results. That's the way it can work. On the other hand, there are many cases where looking into a dictionary is a nice shortcut.

Recht
Diglot
United States
Joined 5583 days ago

241 posts - 270 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB1

Message 28 of 60
24 June 2009 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Recht: Do a google search on both. Take note of the way either word is used
in the first hundred search results. That's the way it can work. On the other
hand, there are many cases where looking into a dictionary is a nice shortcut.

I agree, context is very important, and a dictionary can rarely teach that. But the
context method seems more to be polishing, through use of original texts, movies etc
rather than the early stages of simply acquiring the words (the stages that are currently
relevant to me).

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6676 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 60
24 June 2009 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Iversen, for me words take on shape ... like when you put a coin under a piece of paper and move a pencil over the paper, so that with every stroke you can see more of the picture on the coin.

It doesn't matter if I see a word first in a dictionary or in a text; I still will need more of those strokes to make it visible to me.

That is an absolutely brilliant analogy Bao! And it is exactly the way it is.

Dictionary lookup, or any kind of memorisation, is just good for putting that coin in place under the paper. After that you need stroke after stroke from the real-life context pencil until the coin starts showing all its delicate features and the word starts feeling like a close and trusted friend.

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5691 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 30 of 60
25 June 2009 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
hm.. the first sentence in Lizzern's post could either be extremely ironic or a sign that I'm getting too eager to tell others about my ideas. I will think about a way to become less teacherlike without getting totally invisible.

Wasn't being snarky! I'm just amazed at your capacity to learn the way you do. I've seen your word count chart. Don't change.

Sounds like we've more or less got the same approach to how we can grasp the true meaning of a word, except for how I still can't handle studying wordlists thanks to the German classes I had to take in school (yay). Someday I might...

Thanks for all your comments everyone!

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5451 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 31 of 60
25 June 2009 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
Recht wrote:
I find that to have any deep understanding, I need a dictionary translation to help me
out. There is just no way I'm going to discover the small difference between "exactly"
and "precisely" on my own.

Yet sometimes the dictionary can give you the opposite problem.

As a near random example, the word "zůstat" in Czech is invariably defined in bi-lingual dictionaries as "to stay" (or, in lesser dictionaries as "to stop").

However, as you encounter the word "zůstat" used in practice, you realize over time that it more often is used to mean "to remain". The difference is subtle, but the difference is certainly there.

In cases like this, relying primarily on the dictionary definition can be somewhat misleading, whereas more subtle distinctions (or "deep understanding" in your words) really only come out from seeing the word in real use many times in a wide range of contexts.

Edited by Splog on 25 June 2009 at 1:41pm

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6054 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 32 of 60
25 June 2009 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:
Iversen wrote:
My guess is that a word 'sticks' better if I'm 100% sure of its meaning, and I do know that when doing wordlists from a dictionary, but not necessarily when I'm reading.

OK follow-up question :-) Cause you know some of us kindergarten pixies on this forum are just out to mine that big ol' brain of yours... How do you feel about the way dictionaries don't necessarily tell the whole truth about a word's meaning? Do you use monolingual dictionaries? Cause I find that bilingual ones sometimes tweak comparisons in meaning so much that they're practically half-lying to you about what a word means, which can get confusing, but context can set the record straight and keep me from learning something that isn't entirely true. Even monolingual dictionaries seem to simplify things sometimes to the point of uselessness. I'm chronically miserable at coming up with examples but I'm sure you know what I mean, it seems some things can only really be dealt with by natives who know what they're doing. What to do about all this to make sure we learn properly?

Collins dictionaries in the late 1970s started a trend towards more clear explanations of word connotations. Before that, you would get a series of different definitions separated by colons or semi-colons, which did not tell you much. Having said that, no dictionary perfectly tells you all about a word.

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version