Sweden
Joined 5705 days ago

31 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 41 of 60
28 June 2009 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Toufik18 wrote:
So basically I want to learn around 20000 words in overal, with about 10000 active words so I can call myself an advanced speaker, and 10000 or more if I would to understand basically every text in French I encounter .

I have more or less the same vocabulary goal in French as you do, and I think the easiest way to accomplish this is to use thematic vocabulary books. They list all the relevant vocabulary and avoid unnecessary super rare words.

A good intermediate thematic vocabulary book is Mastering French Vocabulary by Fischer and Le Plouhinec. It has 12,000 terms. A very nice advanced thematic vocabulary book is Vocabulaire de l'anglais contemporain by Jacqueline Fromonot. It has 20,000 terms and is available from Amazon France. It is written for French people studying English, but it can also be used by English speakers learning French. I use them both, and I like them a lot.

If you learn the words in these two books, perhaps starting with the intermediate book and then continuing on with the advanced one, you will have reached your goal.

1 person has voted this message useful

Toufik18
Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5526 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (classical)*, French, English

Message 42 of 60
28 June 2009 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Thanks AntoniusBlock
I think I am going to give a go to the Mastering French Vocabulary by Fischer and Le Plouhinec, 12000 terms is well adapted to my tempo of learning, the second book is not for French, it's from French targeting English .
For now, I am only sourcing my words from a BASIC dictionary of 20000 lexems so I can ensure that I don't learn unusful words, I don't learn through a thematic book because I think that they're too basic and dedicated for beginners .
Thanx again for youe help

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6676 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 43 of 60
29 June 2009 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
We came to the conclusion that native speakers (well educated) seem to have 15000 - 20000 words in their vocabulary.

It depends a lot on what we count as a word.

Some people checked their vocabulary by the "dictionary lookup" method, and got a result of around twice as many dictionary entries as the number of words they scored on that vocab-testing page.

I read somewhere that the vocabulary of educated native speakers is around 60.000 - 70.000 words. This too might well be correct but it will again depend very much on what we count as a word.

Edited by Hencke on 29 June 2009 at 11:25am

Toufik18
Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5526 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 

Message 44 of 60
29 June 2009 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
@ Hencke
I think the the main reason they settled on 20000 words as a vocabulary of a well educated adult is that they counted just the root word or as Iverson put it: base word meaning that :
The word for instence: to illustrate, all it's derivatives won't be considered as independent words, like Illustration, illustrative, illustrious, illustrator and so on, so if those words were to count, the number will far exeed 20000 words to somewhere near 60000-80000 words.
Iverson is the one who put that idea in motion for me, and he is correct, so now I learn the bas word and just glance at its derivatives to make them stick into my mind without attempting to learn all of them independently, so I stuff ~5 words into just one base lexem .
Thanx you

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 60
29 June 2009 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Many of the estimates of vocabulary are expressly based not on words, but on something called "word families", which is fairly close to the notion of a "root word" plus its derivates. And this of course lowers the count considerably, compared to the situation where you count every word form.

As Toufik18 writes it is normally enough to memorize one 'base' member of each 'family' in a session, - when your knowledge of that word is rock solid the rest of the family will follow almost for free later. I use the word 'base' member and not root because the most logical word to choose isn't automatically the shortest. For instance you could decide to learn the word "logical" first and then add "logic" later.

Edited by Iversen on 29 June 2009 at 7:21pm

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6676 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 46 of 60
29 June 2009 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
The figure of 20.000 actually came as an approximation of real test results from an on-line vocab test. The information about what kind of counting it was based on is not available I think, but the questions did not appear to test for variations of one root word.

As a study technique, I am sure you are right that it is an effective strategy to learn the base word and just glance at the derivatives. And learning some special derivatives later will of course be much easier.

If we are talking about vocabulary size it is not quite correct though, to count just base words. To take your example, if you learn "Illustrate" it might be perfectly clear and intuitive what "Illustration" and "Illustrator" means, and "Illustrative" as well, but "Illustrious" is rather far from intuitive and you would need to learn its meaning as a separate entitity.

Another difficulty in counting vocabulary are homographs with different meanings. The word "pen" can mean: 1. A small enclosure for animals 2. an implement for writing with ink 3. a female swan 4. penitentiary 5. peninsula - plus various additional meanings within some of these main entries, and that is just as a noun. "pen" can have a number of different meanings as a verb too. It doesn't seem fair, or accurate, if someone who knows just one of these meanings is considered to have the same vocabulary knowledge as someone who is familiar with all of them.

Edited by Hencke on 29 June 2009 at 7:32pm

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6676 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 47 of 60
29 June 2009 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
. (where's that danged "delete" button now?)

Edited by Hencke on 30 June 2009 at 10:00am

Toufik18
Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5526 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 

Message 48 of 60
29 June 2009 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
The figure of 20.000 actually came as an approximation of real test results from an on-line vocab test. The information about what kind of counting it was based on is not available I think, but the questions did not appear to test for variations of one root word.
If we are talking about vocabulary size it is not quite correct though, to count just base words. To take your example, if you learn "Illustrate" it might be perfectly clear and intuitive what "Illustration" and "Illustrator" means, and "Illustrative" as well, but "Illustrious" is rather far from intuitive and you would need to learn its meaning as a separate entitity.

You got me busted there :)
Nevertheless, I am not saying that the overall sum of your vocabulary should exclude the derivatives, but the learning process should .It is a lot easier to learn just the base word and cheak the other meanings as well. But should the total number of vocabulary include ALL the known words? Hell yeah ! Because they are words after all and you use them the same way as you use the base word, besides, is a lot more fun to say I know 60000 words instead of 20000 :)
Thanx

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version