Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 9 of 11
30 June 2009 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Loopy wrote:
bcampoli5 wrote:
I have been looking at German for a while now and I
have decided I want to learn
it. I have come across the Rosetta Stone program and it looks effective, but I'm not
sure if it really is. I even received the demo in the mail but even that doesn't tell
me
much.

Is it worth it to buy Rosetta Stone? Is it even a good program?

German is my first "real" foreign language. I started it with Rosetta Stone. Since you
are an absolute beginner (I assume?) it is a great start. Personally I would have only
gotten it used or very cheap. There is better out there for your money. If you work for
a couple of hours a day on Rosetta Stone, Pimsleur, and Michel Thomas, you will
progress at a stunning rate. I also suggest picking up a grammar book at your local
bookstore when you get the chance.

Viel Spaß!

Yes, German is my first real foreign language too. I will probably get a grammar book
and ask my aunt a few questions here and there about it, just to make sure I'm doing
things right (German is her native language).

Danke!
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5938 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 10 of 11
30 June 2009 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
I have 3 years of high school German lurking in my brain, and I've picked up Pimsleur's German I with the goal of trying to recall some of it.   I'm doing one per day. So far it's going well. And it isn't either taking much time or interfering with Japanese, which is my main project right now.    I like these audio-only courses because they get me off the computer. I can load them onto my iPhone and listen while I briskly walk about town.   

LtM
Triglot
United States
Joined 5673 days ago

130 posts - 223 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 11 of 11
03 July 2009 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Pimsleur is a great program for learning/reviewing basic conversational skills, with a couple of caveats:

1) The vocabulary base is quite limited, and it's only for beginners (no matter what   they advertise)
2) It's really expensive (unless you get your hands on a free copy; lots of libraries have it also)

That said, after finishing the Pimsleur series, you really know and can use the (limited) material that they teach. That can't be said for some other methods. Because you have to continually respond to the audio, you really do have the material down cold by the end of the course. So it can be a great start (repeat: start) for someone who's interested in learning to converse in a language.

[edited for (hopefully) more clarity]

Edited by LtM on 03 July 2009 at 11:24pm

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version