United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5871 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Studies: Hindi, English*, German, French
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 1 of 15
30 June 2009 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
Hey there,

I recently talked to an English friend who learnt French whilst in Spain - therefore being taught French in Spanish. It seemed like quite an interesting idea, so I got myself a copy of Assimil in French to learn another language.

I've been learning French in high school for about 7 years now and as you would expect from high school French, I'm not fluent, but I like to think I'm at least conversational and could easily get by in France.

Anyway, my question is, have any of you had any experience learning a new language through a language you already know quite well (but isn't your native language)? And do you think it is a good way to focus on two languages at a time?

Thanks,

Kizza
1 person has voted this message useful

Le dacquois
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 5442 days ago

54 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 2 of 15
30 June 2009 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
I think it's a good idea if you've already progressed to a sufficient enough level to pull it off. I do this with Spanish and German through French. Unless I'm on the Internet I have no access to English written material, not language learning courses anyway, so I just grab whatever I can in French. It's very useful for learning specific jargon and turns of phrase that you wouldn't see otherwise, aside from actually learning another language on top of that.

Your mind even starts to melt the languages together, to such an extent that you begin to become unaware that these are different languages. When you see two foreign languages side by side, translated more or less word for word, I think your brain makes connections on the fly. You don't just understand the differences and similarities between your native tongue and the primary target language, but you understand all of that and everything in BETWEEN all the languages you know. I think it reinforces gaps. I'm not sure if I'm making much sense here, I'm not a scientist, but what I mean is that I find myself reading the "Teach Yourself Spanish" book in French and in my head I hear both languages running in parallel simultaneously. I often hear English going along with it at the same time. I think during that process your mind is noticing things and taking notes subconsciously even if you yourself are not. However, I often notice things at a conscious level with it too.

I started doing that because I had no choice. There aren't many written English resources in France. Nowadays though, it makes no difference to me and learning German or Spanish through French is just the same as it is through English. If I had a much lower level of French though I think it might have been an initial hinderance. I say go for it if you understand most of the language required to understand the other.

staf250
Pentaglot
Belgium
emmerick.be
Joined 5492 days ago

352 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, Italian, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 15
30 June 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
I actually do so. I have the latest Assimil "L'italien". The book exists only in French to learn Italian. You are
learning to languages at the same time.

Drabant
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5429 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Japanese
Studies: Latin

Message 4 of 15
30 June 2009 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
You pretty much have to, when your native language is not a big one, and the language you want to learn is somewhat exotic.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6067 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 5 of 15
30 June 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
When I was curious about Kurdish grammar, the only book I could find was a Turkish-language one. With the rarer languages, you may not find explanations or textbooks in English, at least not readily.
As for Turkish, the best dictionaries are Turkish-German, not Turkish-English, in my view.
Some books deliberately approach less-studied languages through related, more familiar ones. I remember a book entitled Czech Through Russian, published by Slavica. It assumed the reader had studied Russian and sought to draw out the similarities to Czech.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6660 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 6 of 15
30 June 2009 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
I did this in Belgium. I bought Assimil French with Dutch as the language of instruction, and Assimil Dutch with French as the language of instruction.

AntoniusBlock
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5718 days ago

31 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 7 of 15
30 June 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
There is an interesting thread here on "sequential reinforcement".

I have mostly used English based materials so far, and I'm currently moving more towards German and French based materials. There are truckloads of good learning materials available in German and French.

RBenham
Triglot
Groupie
IndonesiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5438 days ago

60 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Indonesian

Message 8 of 15
02 July 2009 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
Drabant wrote:
You pretty much have to, when your native language is not a big one, and the language you want to learn is somewhat exotic.

I don't think this necessity is confined to "small" native languages. While in Madagascar (albeit only for a holiday), I considered learning Malagasy, and the only material available assumed your native language was French (mine being English). Not a problem, given that French is my second-best language, but my relationship with the Malagasy girl came to an abrupt end, and with it my motivation.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version