Diglot
United States
Joined 5271 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 73 of 121
05 March 2010 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
Ahh today let's see, I heard the following, even though it is still a little early.

German- I passed my German teacher in the hallway and she had to talk to me about one of the projects my class is doing.

French- Friend speaking to his sister

Hungarian- Another friend speaking on the phone to her parents.

Polish- Yet ANOTHER friend speaking to her sister.

Spanish- A girl in the hallway with her friend.

Korean- A Korean girl in the library.
1 person has voted this message useful

lackinglatin
Triglot
Groupie
United States
randomwritingsetc.blRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5770 days ago

62 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, Modern Hebrew
Studies: Spanish

Message 74 of 121
06 March 2010 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
A couple days ago I became conscious of my surroundings when I was recording a game of Go with a Japanese friend I was playing at university.

I had spoken with some Koreans earlier, and overheard them talking to themselves before, but that wasn't filmed... but in the film there was:

English (which we shared)
Hebrew (I'm in Israel, a Mexican friend who was watching explained something to an Israeli about the game)
Spanish (He also greeted a south american friend there)
Arabic (There was a theological argument going on from when Arabic I could understand in the background for a lot of it)
Japanese (He was muttering to himself in thought, and we both shared the traditional Japanese initiation and end statements for a game accordingly)

I also heard German (lots of Germans in our school... in fact, a Swiss guy was watching, I don't know if he spoke any German there or not). And now that I think about it, my Spanish friend might have used some of his French and Italian (just smatterings) while watching the game as well, I'll have to watch the video again. Maybe I should post a link to it when I put it up? It's fairly long, I'll probably also put a sped up version for the sake of the game, and then a full version for the full linguistic pleasure. :)

That's a potential 9 languages being safe, excluding the potential Russian that's also common, possibly Finnish (there are several Fins here), and so on. I'm the only native English speaker in my Hebrew class, actually. Last semester we had 10 different countries represented. There's a girl from Cypress in my class on the day I played that game of Go, but I doubt she spoke any Greek there. I also hear Swiss German at least once a week because of a community I hang out with outside of school that uses it.

Aleksey Groz
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5159 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian*, English, Czech, FrenchB2

Message 75 of 121
14 March 2010 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Serbo-Croatian (all the day)
English (how could I escape it?!)
French (Serbian-French radio this morning)
Czech (my co-worker)
2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5932 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 76 of 121
17 March 2010 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
English (I live in the US)
French (in class)
Spanish (in class/hearing people speak in general/speaking with friend)

Does my own study count? If so, I can add Swahili onto there from the recording of my study material. If my own voice counts too, I could add a few more.

Edited by ellasevia on 17 March 2010 at 3:24am

liyulianyanyu
China
Joined 5160 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes
Studies: English

Message 77 of 121
17 March 2010 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
I've heard Chinese,English,Japanese,Korean.

psy88
United States
Joined 5381 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 78 of 121
21 March 2010 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
I stopped in a diner this morning in New York City. What languages did I hear? Greek, by the owner and managers (no surprise there, it was a NYC diner after all), Italian (but only one person greeting his friend and then they conversed in English), Spanish (among the wait staff, myself, and the busboys), French (a mother , father, and young daughter, who appeared to be tourists),and English,(but the UK not American variety, among four men).
2 persons have voted this message useful

markchapman
Diglot
Groupie
Taiwan
tesolzone.com/
Joined 5262 days ago

44 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Portuguese

Message 79 of 121
28 March 2010 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
Portuguese, French & English.

Rina
United States
Joined 5334 days ago

35 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin, Korean

Message 80 of 121
01 April 2010 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
English (mostly)
Cherokee ^-^
German
Chinese

I'm really looking froward to living somewhere where I could hear more languages on a daily basis. The majority of what I hear is English or Spanish.

This discussion contains 121 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version