bcampoli5
United States
Joined 5421 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 13
09 July 2009 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
I have recently purchased Rosetta Stone Levels 1, 2, and 3. I am wondering how much of
the German Language I will know when I have finished with the whole course. Will I have
reached advanced Fluency? Will I only be at an intermediate level? I know no one can tell
me how much I will know, because that depends on how well a person can learn a language.
But if anyone has gone through a language with Rosetta Stone, how much did you know at
the end?

Edited by bcampoli5 on 09 July 2009 at 6:34am

1 person has voted this message useful

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6161 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 13
09 July 2009 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
You'll perhaps get to intermediate with just R.S. It's just a fancy, expensive flashcard program. It doesn't really teach you how to communicate, just how to say "the man is on top of the blue house" and silly things like that. I'd suggest that you look into Assimil, Linguaphone, etc. and return R.S. if you still can. But that's just my opinion.

bcampoli5
United States
Joined 5421 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes

Message 3 of 13
09 July 2009 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
Why is assimil better than rosetta stone though

mts-ca
Diglot
United States
Joined 5678 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 13
09 July 2009 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
I used version 2 for German, and I wasn't very impressed. However, I used and then purchased version 3 to learn Spanish and am nearing completion of Level 3. I think version 3 is much improved but it is still not a perfect project and it's still grossly overpriced. The course layout and the voice recognition are much improved but are still lacking.

At the end you will likely have a good grasp of the language. Spanish is my third language and I'm sure that helped my learning but I feel comfortable watching TV in Spanish and sometimes feel more confident than I do with my German.

The biggest benefit to Rosetta Stone is that you constantly and consistently feel like you are making progress. This really helps you stick with the language, even if the program can get a little boring.

In reality, you wont know that much, but you will have a really strong grasp of what you do know. This strong grasp will provide an excellent foundation for continued study. You should probably start with some of the grammar now, despite what Rosetta Stone's creators say.

Just remember to focus while you practice, and don't let yourself zone out. Try to challenge yourself in ways that the software doesn't. Close your eyes and think about what the bubble says before you open your eyes to click on it, and other similar things.

I could see someone developing an A2 level with Rosetta Stone, but I'm not sure someone could expect more than that. Continue your study and you should be able to get to a B2 level in the same amount of time.

bcampoli5
United States
Joined 5421 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes

Message 5 of 13
09 July 2009 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
Thanks mts, I sometimes feel myself zoning out during my rosetta stone lessons and I tend
to not remember some things. I am thinking about purchasing a few books on grammar and
what not of German.
I want to be able to read a book my age level (teen) in German by time I'm done with
Rosetta Stone. An example of a book would be harry potter.

mts-ca
Diglot
United States
Joined 5678 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 13
09 July 2009 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
You will still struggle with Harry Potter after you finish Rosetta Stone, more than you would if you did Assimil, Living Language or many of the other courses. The biggest problem will be that your vocabulary will be much smaller than most other methods. You will be able to read Harry Potter, but you will spend a lot of time learning words. Harry Potter will be a bit of a task no matter your method. Finishing all three levels of RS and then moving to Harry Potter is a solid plan. There are also some dual-language books with children stories for sale, you may want to try on of those first, or, if you can find one, a Lustiges Taschenbuch. http://www.lustiges-taschenbuch.de/
2 persons have voted this message useful

joebelt
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6126 days ago

51 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 7 of 13
09 July 2009 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
I'll throw in that Pimsleur + Assimil or Michel Thomas will be a much better approach than Rosetta.

bcampoli5
United States
Joined 5421 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes

Message 8 of 13
09 July 2009 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Well I'll keep doing Rosetta Stone and hopefully finish all of the levels in a month or
so. I'm taking German I at my school as well, and hopefully that will help.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version