149 messages over 19 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 18 19 Next >>
ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7015 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 1 of 149
11 July 2009 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
A serious study of polyglottery is underway! The book is being written, not in any nebulous sense, but under concrete contract with a major publishing house and with a fixed 2010 date of issue. The author, Michael Erard, Ph.D., has previously published a book entitled: Um...: Slips, Stumbles, and Verbal Blunders, and What They Mean. He is now researching a project called Babel No More to investigate polyglots and the upper limits of language learning ability.

You can learn about Dr. Erard’s project by visiting his website. There, you will find a detailed survey about language learning habits and abilities. If you are a polyglot, I urge you to take the time to complete the questionnaire. I have had the privilege of introducing Dr. Erard to my father, to my friend and former colleague, Professor Jerry Decker, and to our own Moses McCormick. I think it would be wonderful if Mr. Iversen, Mr. Simcott, Ms. Meyer, and indeed all of the polyglots on this forum would also take his survey. His book is the first serious treatment of polyglottery, and it would be good for his data to be as comprehensive as possible. He is very much aware that there are different polyglot personalities, and if you represent one that he has not yet encountered and you signal that you are willing for him to do so, he may want to contact you personally. I have just posted a video that he filmed of me discussing my current study habits. Let us all help him to produce an authoritative work that will win for all polyglots the acknowledgment for their efforts that is so often elusive!

To do this, again, please visit Dr. Erard’s site and fill out his language learning survey:
Babel No More.

Alexander Arguelles

Edited by Fasulye on 18 July 2013 at 7:20pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 149
11 July 2009 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the links, Professor!

Jeff Lindqvist
1 person has voted this message useful

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5570 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 3 of 149
11 July 2009 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Thank you, professor. The article on the website was an interesting read, and your video was very entertaining. I am eager to read about the findings of the study. This is definitely a worthy subject.

ronp
Heptaglot
Australia
ronpeek.blogspo
Joined 5853 days ago

33 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, German, Flemish, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Norwegian, Mandarin, Esperanto, Finnish, Macedonian, Hindi, Greek, Indonesian, Lithuanian, Basque, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic (Written), Sign Language
Studies: Turkish, Swahili

Message 4 of 149
11 July 2009 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Dear Professor Arguelles (and others),

Thank you for your post and the video.

I would also recommend completing the survey. I did so a while ago after contacting Michael Erard in relation to my own research and personal interests in polyglots and polyglottery. There are not many studies on polyglots (even fewer in English) and I applaud his efforts in this regard (good systematic research on polyglots is even rarer than polyglots...)

I recently commenced a part-time PhD, which also looks into this area (www.ronpeek.blogspot.com), but it is still very early days. However, I hope to report back on any findings in the future and perhaps contact some of you as well.

Meanwhile, have a go at Erard's survey. I found it very insightful and learned a few things about myself as well.

Kind regards,

Ron Peek

Edited by ronp on 11 July 2009 at 12:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 149
11 July 2009 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:
A serious study of polyglottery is underway! The book is being written, not in any nebulous sense, but under concrete contract with a major publishing house and with a fixed 2010 date of issue. The author, Michael Erard, Ph.D., has previously published a book entitled: Um...: Slips, Stumbles, and Verbal Blunders, and What They Mean. He is now researching a project called Babel No More to investigate polyglots and the upper limits of language learning ability.

You can learn about Dr. Erard’s project by visiting his website. There, you will find a detailed survey about language learning habits and abilities. If you are a polyglot, I urge you to take the time to complete the questionnaire. I have had the privilege of introducing Dr. Erard to my father, to my friend and former colleague, Professor Jerry Decker, and to our own Moses McCormick. I think it would be wonderful if Mr. Iversen, Mr. Simcott, Ms. Meyer, and indeed all of the polyglots on this forum would also take his survey. His book is the first serious treatment of polyglottery, and it would be good for his data to be as comprehensive as possible. He is very much aware that there are different polyglot personalities, and if you represent one that he has not yet encountered and you signal that you are willing for him to do so, he may want to contact you personally. I have just posted a video that he filmed of me discussing my current study habits. Let us all help him to produce an authoritative work that will win for all polyglots the acknowledgment for their efforts that is so often elusive!

To do this, again, please visit Dr. Erard’s site and fill out his language learning survey:
Babel No More.

Alexander Arguelles

Prof Arguelles,

This project is interesting!!! You might not know me, because I haven't taken part in this subforum so far. As a polyglot I may be a good testperson.

Sincerely,

Fasulye

According to this scientist's definition I speak enough languages to be called a "hyperpolyglot", but I myself feel much more comfortable with calling me a polyglot.

I have just contributed in the survey and found it interesting to "take the test".

Edited by Fasulye on 01 July 2010 at 6:47pm

JonB
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6024 days ago

209 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Greek

Message 6 of 149
12 July 2009 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Prof Arguelles,

This project is interesting!!! You might not know me, because I haven't taken part in this subforum so far. As a polyglot I may be a good testperson.

Sincerely,

Jolien Schittko

According to this scientist's definition I speak enough languages to be called a "hyperpolyglot", but I myself feel much more comfortable with calling me a polyglot.

I have just contributed in the survey and found it interesting to "take the test".

I agree. If a 'hyperpolyglot' is a person who has an advanced functional ability in 6+ languages, then (aside from Prof Arguelles) the only genuine and proven 'hypers' that I am aware of seeing on this forum are Ms Schittko, Mr Iversen, Mr McCormick and the gentleman who posts under the name 'Charlmartell'.

You could certainly add Mr Steve Kaufmann to the above list - but I believe he no longer posts on this forum.

(And I trust that Mr Simcott is also a true 'hyperpolyglot', however I myself cannot recall ever seeing him 'in action'.)

It is, of course, very easy to claim advanced ability in 6 or 12 languages. I guess that there are very many posters on this forum who do that! But one should surely be able to show an actual use of the languages in order to qualify as a real 'hyperpolyglot'?

The results of this very interesting survey could be corrupted if too many frauds start taking part!

michael erard
United States
michaelerard.com
Joined 5873 days ago

24 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 149
12 July 2009 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
All,

I thank Professor Arguelles for mentioning my book and furthering my research by pointing people to my survey. It's the first such survey of its kind, and I hope it will provide a stepping stone for researchers like Ron Peek.

Among the places my research has taken me: I've been to Bologna, where I looked at the archives of Mezzofanti, and to Dusseldorf, where I saw what's left of Emil Krebs' brain, and to Chihuahua City in Mexico to visit a multilingual club whose motto is that everyone can speak 7 languages. I've been to south India to meet multilinguals. I've had my language aptitude tested and my brain scanned. I've sat in Professor Arguelles' library.

Finishing the survey itself can require some time, but it doesn't have to be completed in one sitting. However, it is *extremely* important that people fill out the speaking self-assessments. It's important because there are hypotheses about the distribution of skills/abilities across the number of languages that I am trying to evaluate. I know it's annoying. But it's for a good cause.

I recognize that you may use some languages only for reading or listening, but I didn't include these in the survey because 1) they hadn't been released yet and 2) would make the survey even more burdensome! (People tend to mention languages they only read in a comment form on the last page.)

There is a fuller description of the book and survey at www.babelnomore.com, as well as an email contact form you can use to enter a drawing for a free copy of the book when it comes out.

Thanks again
Michael
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 149
12 July 2009 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:
I have had the privilege of introducing Dr. Erard to my father, to my friend and former colleague, Professor Jerry Decker, and to our own Moses McCormick. I think it would be wonderful if Mr. Iversen, Mr. Simcott, Ms. Meyer, and indeed all of the polyglots on this forum would also take his survey. His book is the first serious treatment of polyglottery, and it would be good for his data to be as comprehensive as possible.
Alexander Arguelles

I have now taken the survey, and I'm glad to hear that there are scientists out there who are genuinely interested in the phenomenon of polyglotism. I hope that Dr. Erard will publish his results soon (2010 will be fine!) so that we can at last get some real facts about accelerated language learning on the table. We can provide a lot of anecdotal evidence in a forum like this, but a systematic study by a competent and detached observer is quite another thing.

I have also watched the new video of profArguelles, - and it was very interesting to see how many different materials you need to go through daily to keep scores languages languages alive and happy. This very lively presentation shows another side of Professor Arguelles than the standard format with his face in closeup.

Mr.Simcott, who writes under the penname of Torbyrne on this forum, has shown his skills in several impressive videos on Youtube.

Niels Johs. Legarth Iversen

Edited by Iversen on 12 July 2009 at 10:28pm

This discussion contains 149 messages over 19 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version