United Kingdom
Joined 6024 days ago

209 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Greek

Message 9 of 149
12 July 2009 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Mr.Simcott, who writes under the penname of Torbyrne on this forum, has shown his skills in several impressive videos on Youtube.

Ah I see, I didn't know it was the same person. In this case, yes, I certainly would add Torbyrne/Mr Simcott to the list of genuine hyperpolyglots!

However, I still stand by my more general point: I think this research may be of limited value if there is no means of checking that those taking part in the survey really can do what they claim. (It is a rather unfortunate fact that many people tend to 'talk up' their ability in any area of life...)
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 149
13 July 2009 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
JonB wrote:
Iversen wrote:
Mr.Simcott, who writes under the penname of Torbyrne on this forum, has shown his skills in several impressive videos on Youtube.

Ah I see, I didn't know it was the same person. In this case, yes, I certainly would add Torbyrne/Mr Simcott to the list of genuine hyperpolyglots!

However, I still stand by my more general point: I think this research may be of limited value if there is no means of checking that those taking part in the survey really can do what they claim. (It is a rather unfortunate fact that many people tend to 'talk up' their ability in any area of life...)

I've proven my written language abilities of my seven languages regularly in Iversen's Multiconfused Log and in the Multilingual Lounge. If it's necessary and possible I will be willing to have all my seven languages tested by standardized tests, grammar tests, listening tests or native speakers. I personally like language exam situations, so I will take it sportive. Besides this I would appreciate getting the chance of taking a standard language aptitude test, because in my experience, normal IQ-tests don't measure language learning capacities.

I mean it seriously, if scientists want to test my language skills, I would like to be tested!

Fasulye

By the way, there are other proven polyglots participating in this forum:

Luca (Poliglotta80) and Amir from You Tube, for example. Also JW.

Edited by Fasulye on 01 July 2010 at 6:46pm

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6701 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 11 of 149
13 July 2009 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
What about the administrator, Mr. Micheloud? I believe he speaks 6 languages.

Sadly I haven't seen him on this forum for quite some time now.

JonB
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6024 days ago

209 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Greek

Message 12 of 149
13 July 2009 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
I've proven my written language abilities of my seven languages regularly in Iversen's Multiconfused Log and in the Multilingual Lounge.

Yes I know - that is the reason why I have said I would include you on the list of genuine and proven hyperpolyglots. :-)

I have no doubt that there are other people who would also genuinely qualify.

However there may be some people (I don't want to give names) who claim to speak 6, 7 or 8 languages, but who have only ever posted in English. These are the ones I would want to check up on.

Edited by JonB on 13 July 2009 at 10:02am

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5907 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 13 of 149
13 July 2009 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
furyou_gaijin and glossika both have substantial knowledge of more than seven languages as well.

charlmartell
Super Polyglot
Portugal
Joined 6003 days ago

286 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: French, English, German, Luxembourgish*, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 15 of 149
13 July 2009 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
JonB wrote:
I have no doubt that there are other people who would also genuinely qualify.

Yes, add to those the gentleman who goes under the name of furyou_gaijin (Serge) and Turaisiawase.

JonB wrote:
However there may be some people (I don't want to give names) who claim to speak 6, 7 or 8 languages, but who have only ever posted in English. These are the ones I would want to check up on.

You mean like the one who gives "good advice" but has only occasionally shown us glimpses of one of his many languages, the best one apparently. All very basic mistakes, unfortunately. If people like him take part the outcome of the study will be flawed, because they have an inflated idea of themselves, their way of learning and their achievement.
Paul Fonck

Edited by charlmartell on 13 July 2009 at 11:43am

charlmartell
Super Polyglot
Portugal
Joined 6003 days ago

286 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: French, English, German, Luxembourgish*, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 16 of 149
14 July 2009 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
turaisiawase wrote:
What about Cainntear? He knows NINE languages!

Sorry, I just checked, he only claims 5 of which 4 at basic fluency only. The rest are just flirtings. So he wouldn't actually qualify for the study.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 149 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version