Sweden
Joined 6943 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 26
25 November 2005 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
I have at this point in my Mandarin language learning decided to move away from textbooks and start learning from movies instead. I recently visited China and bought a lot of chinese movies during my stay there. I would like to share my method of studying with these movies, to see if someone else has done the same thing.
I study in the following steps:

I select a relatively short segment of the movie. Between 30 seconds and 2 minutes long. I then watch this segement and make a vocabulary list of all the words I do not know. Then I record the audio of the selected segment to my MP3-player and listen to it over and over.
Does this seem to be a sensible method? The advantage with it is that you get to listen to language which isn't adapted for language learners so it trains you to listen to language as spoken by native speakers not having to adjust to the less than perfect listening skills of non natives. Furthermore you only study the words you do not already know.
For me the method looks promising anyway. From the first 40 second segement of the movie I picked up about 30 new words. Seems like a great way to build vocabulary.

1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6863 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 26
25 November 2005 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
A good way to improve your aural comprehension and passive vocabulary certainly. What are you going to be doing to keep the active side of things doing?

Andy.

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6943 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 26
25 November 2005 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
A good way to improve your aural comprehension and passive vocabulary certainly. What are you going to be doing to keep the active side of things doing?
Andy.

I might shadow the dialogs for instance. I find that if I listen enough times to something the phrases start ringing in my head and I start repeating them almost automatically.

Shusaku
United States
Joined 6860 days ago

145 posts - 157 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese

Message 4 of 26
25 November 2005 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
I've also used this technique and it's definitely useful. In fact I plan to do much more of this in the near future as I've pretty much ran out of textbook material.

curon
Bilingual Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6649 days ago

31 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*, Welsh*, German, Italian, French

Message 5 of 26
14 January 2006 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
I would love to know how to get film diagues onto an mp3 player. Is it easy? Do I need special software?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 26
14 January 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
There should be some software capable of converting. A search for "dvd to mp3" provides us with several options:
http://www.dvdtomp3.net/
http://www.dvd222.com/
http://www.mp3towav.org/dvd-ripper.asp
and many, many more.

I'm sure other have more information.

Linas
Octoglot
Lithuania
Joined 6672 days ago

253 posts - 279 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Russian, Latvian, French, English, German, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Slovenian, Greek, Hungarian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese

Message 7 of 26
14 January 2006 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
/

Edited by Linas on 15 January 2006 at 1:31pm

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7136 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 26
14 January 2006 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Maxb, this sounds like a great plan! I love movies and watch several hundreds a year. There are loads of Chinese movies although less in Mandarin than in Cantonese. This being said, most have Mandarin audio as option - it just sounds less natural but that's not important for what you want to do.

I love movie dialogs but they are sometimes hard to understand since they differ from written prose in both vocabulary and syntax. Do you think you'll be able to find transcript (scripts) of the movies to help you narrow down each and every word? You could learn by heart several cult movie scenes - very nice indeed!

Good luck

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version